priming after sand blasting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am finally back to work on the FJ40. I am going to start sand blasting parts (smaller to begin with) and I know I need to prime them afterwards to prevent rusting. Here's the deal. I plan on leaving the parts sit until I am ready to paint everything. Could be a while. .....
So, what primmer to use? I have seen epoxy and self-etching. I am hoping I want need to sand or prime again later. Is this possible and do it well? I have read that some primers have to be painted with in a certain time limit or re-primed.
what is best guys?

Epoxy primer is great stuff but there is a time window and after 24 or 48 hours you will have to sand before top coating.
I have used a product named PickleX 20 on my MGB project to protect blasted parts until I get to priming and paint. It is not cheap and it might be made of relatively common chemicals, but it works as they claim.
http://autobodystore.com/picklex20.shtml

I intend to wipe stuff down with Wax and Grease remover from Auto Paint store before painting.
It is my hope that the PickleX stuff will keep the blasted parts rust free and ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom