HZJ75 gear box oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm not sure what would be the right oil, GL4 or GL5 ?
on the manule it says API 75w90 GL4\ GL5 , but the syncro in that transmission made of yellow metal and GL5 shouldn't go with yellow metal...
what are you guys using ?

Harel

Ive always used Castrol EPX 80-90 GL5. Its what most owners use in Australia for landcruisers I think. It appears to be a heavier duty than the GL4
  • API Category GL-4 designates the type of service characteristic of spiral-bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles operated under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications.
  • API Category GL-5 designates the type of service characteristic of gears, particularly hypoids in automotive axles under high-speed and/or low-speed, high-torque conditions. Lubricants qualified under U.S. Military specification MIL-L-2105D (formerly MIL-L-2015C), MIL-PRF-2105E and SAE J2360 satisfy the requirements of the API GL-5 service designation.

105137.jpg

GL4 in the trans and transfer as they often have fluids migrate between each other. Best to run the same fluid.

Amsoil and redline has a 75w-90 gl4

Here is the best gear oil comparison testing I have ever found online. Some big names like Lucas scored surprisingly low over all. Although the testing was done for Amsoil and they come out the winner you will see they dont claim to win every category, only 5 out of 11. But even if you dismiss the Amsoil results as biase it gives a good break down of the other products. For me the biggest surprise is that both Lucas and Royal Purple both failed the "yellow metal testing"
http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

GL4 in the trans and transfer as they often have fluids migrate between each other. Best to run the same fluid.

Amsoil and redline has a 75w-90 gl4

Why would you need to use a GL4 when the FSM specifies either GL4 or GL5 for the H41/H55F?
Looking around at what is on the oil forums it seems GL5 is suitable for gearboxes with yellow metal in the synchonisers these days.
It must have been suitable for a long time because the FSM I looked in is an 84-90.

Why would you need to use a GL4 when the FSM specifies either GL4 or GL5 for the H41/H55F?
Looking around at what is on the oil forums it seems GL5 is suitable for gearboxes with yellow metal in the synchonisers these days.
It must have been suitable for a long time because the FSM I looked in is an 84-90.

This is what i was not sure about , the fact that on the FSM GL5 is an option but it's also known that GL5 attack yellow metals.

I have used VMX80 but I think the Castrol EPX is a heavier duty oil. The synchros in H55F need all the help they can get,even when new they feel like they are fxxxed

Just use GL-4 to be safe, you don't need the pressure additives of GL-5 in the gearbox, also you are risking eating away the yellow metals, at least that is what I learned in school...
So GL-4 in transfer and tranny and GL-5 in diffs. I am currently running the Redline MT-90, Amsoil also has a GL-4, mettoo..http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA

It is indeed strange that Toyota does not specify GL-4 only...

It is indeed strange that Toyota does not specify GL-4 only...
As I said before,if Toyota are saying its ok and the various oil sites are saying the GL5 is ok.Why worry about nothing.
Anything else is out of date info.
Toyota have 18000 engineers working for them (at 1990 levels). I am not going to try and outsmart them.

Because not all GL5 oils are created equal. 90% of them are fine but if you look at the link I posted you will see that all of the oils tested are GL5 rated but not all passed the yellow metal test. Personally I've been using GL4 rather then taking the chance because I dont see a downside in doing so

Maybe Toyota have added something to the metal to make it resistant to any corrosion. We have got hundred thousand H55f in Australia in a relatively small population and no one bothers whether GL4 or GL5 goes into the gearbox and I can not recall a single instance where the GL5 oil has been blamed for damaging a gearbox.
Im pretty sure the guy who rebuilt a gearbox for me recommend the Castrol EPX 80-90
Do you think Toyota would say its ok to use GL5 without somehow sitting down and having a good think about it?

EDIT. I just had a closer look at Castrol Australia site and they are recommending their Universal 80-90 API GL5 for HZJ75 .
I said I used EPX 80-90 as I found one in my shed but it may have been the one I used in the front diff.

CASTROL UNIVERSAL 80W-90
Manual transmission and differential fluid providing improved gear shift over a wide range of temperatures, particularly cold shift performance. Also suitable in secondary drive axles (front and rear) of 4WD's, for reduced drag and enhanced fuel efficiency, especially in around town service. SAE 80W90, API GL5.

They are also recommending their Universal 80-90 API GL5 for Hilux ,4 runner , Bundeera ,Rav 4 Dyna ,all Prados , V8 diesel LC and Coaster

So now we have Toyota and Castrol saying GL5 is ok.

Last edited:
Maybe Toyota have added something to the metal to make it resistant to any corrosion. We have got hundred thousand H55f in Australia in a relatively small population and no one bothers whether GL4 or GL5 goes into the gearbox and I can not recall a single instance where the GL5 oil has been blamed for damaging a gearbox.
Im pretty sure the guy who rebuilt a gearbox for me recommend the Castrol EPX 80-90
Do you think Toyota would say its ok to use GL5 without somehow sitting down and having a good think about it?

EDIT. I just had a closer look at Castrol Australia site and they are recommending their Universal 80-90 API GL5 for HZJ75 and any Toyota.
I said I used EPX 80-90 as I found one in my shed but it may have been the one I used in the front diff.

CASTROL UNIVERSAL 80W-90
Manual transmission and differential fluid providing improved gear shift over a wide range of temperatures, particularly cold shift performance. Also suitable in secondary drive axles (front and rear) of 4WD's, for reduced drag and enhanced fuel efficiency, especially in around town service. SAE 80W90, API GL5.

So now we have Toyota and Castrol saying GL5 is ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom