Restoring Vinyl/Plastic Interior with SEM Color Coat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wes

SILVER Star
Threads
After attempting to clean the seats, door panels, and visors of my BJ41 with less than desirable results, I have decided to try and restore them using SEM's vinyl/plastic repair products. My BJ came with the L Package, so it had off white vinyl seats (with red cloth inserts), door panels, and visors. The door panels have been replaced with gray at some point, but the rest of the interior is original with minimal wear.

I have read reviews of SEM's products, and have noticed that some have had good results and some have had poor results. Because of the mixed reviews, I have decided to start with trying to restore the visors first since replacements are readily available. Depending on how they hold up, I may attempt to move on to the door panels, jump seats, and then front seats.

As you can see, the visors were really nasty looking.

photo1_zpscf38efa8.jpg

After cleaning with SEM's soap, they looked much better.

photo2_zpsb4eb61bf.jpg

They were still a little dingy, so I decided to dye them using SEM's Color Coat product. Super White seemed to be a pretty close match to the original color. I followed the instructions, cleaning them with their vinyl prep spray first. The results came out very good. If they hold up, I will continue with the door panels to change them back to their original color and add the results here. Hopefully this will give some of you an idea of what to expect if you try this.

photo4_zps0539ad5c.jpg

Last edited:
BUMP.

Were you happy with the results? I came across their color chart at paint supplier and noticed that they have a very close match for the Oak coloured dash in my 97 LX.

image.jpg

I am happy with the results. I ended up doing the door panels as well. I never did the seats, as I have decided the vinyl isn't in good enough shape to try and restore. My plan for those now is to have them recovered.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427997763.581860.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427997786.856339.jpg

Looks great. Impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom