Tire Wear: cupping / feathering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I say cupping I mean symetrical wear in the center of the tire. When I say feathering I mean symetrical wear on the outer edges.

Using the above quote as a quide, I'm seeing feathering or wear on the outside of the tire, on quick glance would look like every other lug, you can feel it with your hand, track and drives like a dream. Tires are Nitto tg and rotated regularly. Alignment is good and well w/in spec, Suspension, ome, is good and not beat, shocks are newish etc. Tires have about 30k on them and a lot of life left. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
If the alignment is right on and the shocks are good, you’ll need to look elsewhere. Here is some advice off a reliable site on the Internet:

“Bad wheel bearings can cause edge scalloping, but so can bad ball joints, bad steering or sway-bar end links, damage to the steering linkage or control arm, and severely damaged suspension bushings. This kind of wear happens because something in the suspension is bouncing or vibrating when that wheel is compressed during cornering.”

i also know from experience that some tires are more prone to cupping/feathering than others.

Offhand, it sounds like camber wear. I had a GM truck that the camber couldn't be adjusted enough and would cause that type of wear on nearly every tire I had on it. Do you have you truck lifted in the front?

mild ome 866 and t bars. all mentioned by sandroad are in good condition.

It sounds as though you've individually checked everything related to suspension, steering, and bearings and found all the normal wear items to be fine. With all the usual suspects ruled out, seems the only thing left is to replace the tires with another brand or size. Get the next set road-force balanced, just to be sure (I assume you are doing a regular balancing with every rotation).

Nitto tires are normally good quality. Maybe your set has excessive runout. Did they take a lot of weight to balance. Do you have aftermarket wheels. Both could be out of round.

tlc 16" wheels, weights bout average, nothing excessive. Was running bout 40, ran true, no vibes, pulls on start, drifts, etc...just noticed this in the last 1k miles or so, wasn't always an issue. Had the alignment checked, went over everything else that could be an issue, noted above, and balanced.... Just increased pressure to 45, too soon to report, not sure what else to mess with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom