Builds SLOW 71 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see, but I dont know the purpose of it and the charge supported by the treads.

Tap and Heli-Coil if it’s more convenient to assembly without a nut and bolt.

What is the cross section of the area you want to drill, is it thick enough to support the load you want to apply?

One side is 11/32 and the other a hair less than a 1/4". Not much. I don't think it should be too hard to put a nut on them.

On the top picture, just to the left and right on the two holes, is where I'm drilling. On the left, is 11/32" and on the right side, 1/4" I want to use the two holes that are there for the bottom of the reservoir and drill three more for the top bracket.

The second picture is the cross section, I'll be drilling through. Right above the cap.

Bolt and nut it.

Have one cast out of iron and the cad plate it... My attempt at a joke... Seems pretty thin to tap, especially considering the vibrations. Bolt and nut with some washers to distribute the load?

Have one cast out of iron and the cad plate it... My attempt at a joke... Seems pretty thin to tap, especially considering the vibrations. Bolt and nut with some washers to distribute the load?

I deserve that! :)

My reading comprehension seams weak lately, did you say how much load you are holding with these bolts?

J Mack,

It's just a power steering reservoir from PSC, maybe a few pounds plus the oil.

IMG_2848.JPG

You’ll have line weight and vibration the contend with so I wouldn’t rely on that thin webbing alone, I think long term stress cracking may be an issue.

I would make a wide steel plate and spread the load over four screws, looking at your top photo I would add another two screws to the left of your two holes as close as I could to the front something like this.
IMG_2846.JPG

Exactly what I was thinking. There is a casted web between the holes you drew, so I'll either make two smaller plates or cut a slot in one big plate.

I might be able to find another place on the motor to come off of, also.

What if a guy put in a steel sleeve to tighten up to. Between the bracket and the plate in back, going through the cast alum.

I have the same reservoir and mounted behind the drivers side headlight, if it's possible I would get it off the motor.

I originally had a other spot in mind, but their instructions want it as close as possible to the pump and above it. With a short line between the pump and reservoir, no longer than 16". I'll take a longer look at it tomorrow.

Mine worked well with the SBC mounted in the location I described and the reservoir sat about 2" higher than the pump, I'll measure my lines tomorrow but I believe they are less than 16"

So, no problems with the motor movement? Did you use the mounting holes on the bottom of the reservoir or just the top bracket. I was planning on using both.

Thanks for all the good information.

Simple piece of angle iron welded to the inner fender well and I only used the aluminum clamp provided with the reservoir

Hey Bob,

That's funny you mention that breather. A smaller size just came in the mail today, but still need to figure a better mount, never did like that.

Thanks for keeping me straight!

I do still need the panels and I know you've been busy, no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom