Builds GX460 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't chose the ARB front bumper because I was purchasing a rear bumper.

Also, having personally purchased TJM Prado parts in the US previously (my side steps), I don't think the TJM would incur an import tax either (but you could call TJM North America to confirm).

Once the overland store in Vegas (Outback Proven) stopped importing Kaymar products (I believe they closed down), the options were 1) custom bumper or 2) import a Kaymar. Custom would be very pricey, and it would be a roll of the dice reference appearance and function. The Kaymar is certified/ rated to AUS standards and is a tested/ proven design.

Reference ARB fitment; I've seen a conversation (I believe on ARB USA Facebook) that the ARB "will not fit Lexus GX460," but a shop out in WA just put one together recently - just not sure how much work it took:
image.jpg1.jpg

Can you share the name of the shop in WA State that did the work on that GX? That looks really good, from the front at least.

BTW, see that you get 30 MPG out of your 300D-T. How do you do that? My folks have an '85 and the ol' OM617 can only muster about 25 (trap oxidizer, maybe?).

I didn't chose the ARB front bumper because I was purchasing a rear bumper.

Also, having personally purchased TJM Prado parts in the US previously (my side steps), I don't think the TJM would incur an import tax either (but you could call TJM North America to confirm).

Once the overland store in Vegas (Outback Proven) stopped importing Kaymar products (I believe they closed down), the options were 1) custom bumper or 2) import a Kaymar. Custom would be very pricey, and it would be a roll of the dice reference appearance and function. The Kaymar is certified/ rated to AUS standards and is a tested/ proven design.

Reference ARB fitment; I've seen a conversation (I believe on ARB USA Facebook) that the ARB "will not fit Lexus GX460," but a shop out in WA just put one together recently - just not sure how much work it took:

I got so excited to see a build thread on a GX460 that I misread your post about the purchase of your rear bumper. My apologies.

Do you happen to know the name of the shop that installed the Prado 150 ARB front bumper on the GX460?

I would like to ask them some simple questions. Thanks.

....BTW, see that you get 30 MPG out of your 300D-T. How do you do that? My folks have an '85 and the ol' OM617 can only muster about 25 (trap oxidizer, maybe?).

Haha - keep the valves adjusted, run trans fluid through to keep injectors clean, and a 30 mile commute at 65 mph with very few stops. Or maybe it's the nitrogen in my tires? I'm tempted to post a 18 second 0-60 vid so you know it runs in tip top condition!

I got so excited to see a build thread on a GX460 that I misread your post about the purchase of your rear bumper. My apologies.... I would like to ask them some simple questions. Thanks.

No sweat - glad there's interest. Having spent some time in a Prado 150 I would guess the brackets may be holding different trim pieces, but I doubt it's something complex/ structural.

:clap:Saw this rig personally today. The kaymar bumper is worth the logistics too get it here! Can't wait to see it mounted!!

Thanks. Bumper is in for paint/ color match and should be on late next week!

Haha - keep the valves adjusted, run trans fluid through to keep injectors clean, and a 30 mile commute at 65 mph with very few stops. Or maybe it's the nitrogen in my tires? I'm tempted to post a 18 second 0-60 vid so you know it runs in tip top condition!

I knew about the ATF trick but a commute at 65 MPH isn't realistic in some places!

Mule Expedition Outfitters is having an open house next weekend. I'm hoping the GX460 with the ARB will be there so I can check out how they mounted the front a rear bumpers. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Mule Expedition Outfitters is having an open house next weekend. I'm hoping the GX460 with the ARB will be there so I can check out how they mounted the front a rear bumpers. Can't wait to see how yours turns out![/QUOTE]

If the GX460 shows up, can you take some pics to share? Also, can you post some details about it? I read on their FB page the front bumper is technically for the Prado, but they modified it to fit. I hope the modification is only related to cutting the bumper. I have been reviewing the Pradopoint.com forum for a while to get mod ideas. Currently, I am looking at adding a FrontRunner roof rack, an ARB front bumper and skid plates, and possibly Rocky-Road Sliders.

Mule Expedition Outfitters is having an open house next weekend. I'm hoping the GX460 with the ARB will be there so I can check out how they mounted the front a rear bumpers. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

If the GX460 shows up, can you take some pics to share? Also, can you post some details about it? I read on their FB page the front bumper is technically for the Prado, but they modified it to fit. I hope the modification is only related to cutting the bumper. I have been reviewing the Pradopoint.com forum for a while to get mod ideas. Currently, I am looking at adding a FrontRunner roof rack, an ARB front bumper and skid plates, and possibly Rocky-Road Sliders.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I'll only have my cell phone with me but I'll do my best to snap some pics of the modifications. From what TRD83 said, it sounds as if some changes needed to be made to the mounting brackets, or custom ones were fab'ed. Hopefully the GX will show.

So I communicated with Mule Outfitters and they told me all the ARB frame brackets line up (as they should since its the same frame). What is needed to cut is some metal brackets that are below each headlights, as per Mule. What I believe is these metal brackets are thin and can probably be cut with metal pliers. I installed a ARB front bumper on my 2009 4runner and I had metal brackets too under my headlight but I was able to unscrew them. So seems like the Lexus GX460 you cannot unscrew these brackets but have to cut them. In my 4runner these brackets were very thin and easily flexible.

And of course you have to cut the plastic front bumper cover too to use as trim pieces are the bumper.

So there you have it. It fits. No fabrication, welding, etc is needed. Just patience.

So it sounds like the same type of surgery as fitting an ARB bumper on a 5-th Gen 4Runner. Thanks for the info chmura. Hopefully I'll see this truck in person next week. While I'm considering a 470, if I could weasel my way into a 460, that would be more better.

Awesome! Thanks for the info Chmura. Now how to get an ARB Prado 150 Bumper to Texas :hmm:?

Very easy, pay the $1600 and you will have one. :p

Call up your local ARB distributor and order one. Prado 150 bumpers are sitting in ARB's distribution center in Jacksonville, FL. Not very hard to order one. There are 3 part numbers for the Prado 150, Bull Bar (non winch), Winch Bar and Winch Bar with the parking sensor accommodation. Pick the one you need and order one. :)

Very easy, pay the $1600 and you will have one. :p

Call up your local ARB distributor and order one. Prado 150 bumpers are sitting in ARB's distribution center in Jacksonville, FL. Not very hard to order one. There are 3 part numbers for the Prado 150, Bull Bar (non winch), Winch Bar and Winch Bar with the parking sensor accommodation. Pick the one you need and order one. :)

Thanks. Not sure why, but from reading other posts on various forums I got the impression that getting ARB products for non-USA specific models was difficult.

Thanks. Not sure why, but from reading other posts on various forums I got the impression that getting ARB products for non-USA specific models was difficult.

I contacted a USA ARB Purchasing Manager and he told me that its simple.

Again, ALL Prado bumpers come to Jacksonville, FL first. From there they get distributed to the Central, South American, and Canadian markets.

So the Prado bumpers are sitting on U.S. soil. So its fairly simple to get. :)

Awesome! Thanks for the assist Chmura.

I am currently having to frequent PradoPoint for images of aftermarket Prado150/GX460 accessories. Anyone know of any other resources to get ideas for accessories for the GX460? Google is good too, but taxing.

Kaymar Prado 150 Rear Bar w/ RHS Tire Carrier (PN: K3720U-S)/ ordered in November
Sometimes, things are just meant to be; GX460 sustained some significant damage to the lower portion of the rear bumper - top/ sides were untouched (I wasn't even the one driving). I did some reading on PradoPoint, and called Jenny at Kaymar who was extremely helpful and got me all set up. There are some subtle differences between the shape of Rear bumpers (Lexus v Prado, specifically placement and moldings around reflectors), but doesn't seem like it will cause any issues. The bar is AUS certified for the GXs payload, and cleans up the departure angle quite a bit. Despite what others have suggested, a 265/65R18 (1" taller/ stock width) doesn't fit in stock location (clearance limited by stock tow bar at hitch and KDSS/ sway bar), so clearing out the stock tow bar should give me enough space to fit a matched spare under (if desired) or potentially add a larger fuel tank with the spare mounted on the swing out (RHS so the barn door doesn't get any more stupid).

So the end product is great, but there's a few small differences between the prado and the GX that required some extra trimming. Specifically on the underside of the rear center frame rail - maybe additional reinforcements, as I'd guess the tow rating is higher on gx than the prado - there was some interference between bumper and Kaymar. Once that was cleared up, just made a super conservative cut on the Lexus Bodywork/ bumper and attached it then worked it down to correct, as the templates were not close enough to be helpful.

Out with the old

In with the new. Fit and finish is amazing - looks like it could have come this way from Lexus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom