HID conversions in off road Hellas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a set of 7" or 9" Hellas mounted on my TJM bumper. They are a spot pattern and throw light way down the road. I mostly only use them off road or in very remote areas to help spot animals. I spend half the year in Yellowstone NP. Driving early before sun up has VERY light traffic and VERY heavy animal population. They are wired with a Slee harness to my highs and on a separate switch. If i am using them on road i always dim them the minute i see anyone else approaching.

I am thinking of installing HID bulbs in them. I would like to go up to about 75w HID in about 4300 temp. I want to avoid the blue tint but do want maximum light output. I know that in general HID in regular lenses causes crappy patterns. But i dont really see how it would matter in this application. Even if pattern opens up a little it would not be a big deal to me.

What do you guys think? If you think the pastern would suck then please speak up and let me know why. But if you think it is a fine idea please give me you suggestions on brands and kits.

This is what I am planning on doing with mine, either the 100W or 75w HID conversion. I have seen some impressive videos on YouTube with these conversions. I have heard that the newer 4000 FF (Free-Form tempered glass lens) do not work well with the HID conversion, they throw a nasty light pattern.

Do you know the model of your Hellas? Do you want to have everything inside the housing? I have done several convertions including the IPF 900 and you will be amazed at the light output!

Do you know the model of your Hellas? Do you want to have everything inside the housing? I have done several convertions including the IPF 900 and you will be amazed at the light output!

Yes. Mine are the older Hella 3000. Glass "lens" that hods the buld and plastic body. The look close in size to the Hella 4000.

If they are the same size as the Hella 4000 you should be able to mount everything inside the housing asuming you buy the slim ballast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom