Positive Temperature Coefficient Heater? 2015 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the features of the LC is a "Positive Temperature Coefficient Heater", which supposedly passes air over a heated ceramic element to provide near instantaneous heat in "extremely cold" conditions. Is there a way to manually operate that system or is it automatic and triggered by some certain temperature threshold? We don't have "extreme cold" here in Northern California, but on 30 something degree mornings, it sure would be nice to have heat right away as opposed to 4 or 5 minutes after the vehicle is started. I can't find anything about it in the owners manual, but Toyota specifically calls it out in their product literature and on the Toyota website. Any insight is appreciated!

This is from the TIS new car features…

When the power source is ON, and the blower motor is turned ON, the air
conditioning amplifier assembly turns ON the PTC heater assembly if the
conditions listed below are met.

Engine coolant temperature is below specified temperature.

Ambient temperature is below specified temperature.

Tentative air mix damper opening angle is above the specified value (MAX HOT)

This is from the repair manual pertaining to the PTS system. I suspect the below test values are the thresholds for the system to operate, but I am not certain.

All should show 11 to 14 V
E36-27 (PTC1) - Body ground
E36-26 (PTC2) - Body ground
E36-35 (PTC3) - Body ground

• Engine switch on (IG)
  • Temperature setting: Hi
  • Outside temperature: 10°C (50°F) or less
  • Engine coolant temperature: 73°C (163.4°F) or less
  • Blower switch: ON

Brian - thanks for the post! :clap: I did not know my LX had this feature. I tried it yesterday and it worked really well. I set the temp on High and turned the fan on and hot air started to flow right away!

Patrick, below 50 looks to be the outside temp required to trigger. I put both zones temperature to HI, turn the fan to max, use the defrost & feet vent/ducts, and also run recirculate. A little heat can be felt shortly after doing this, but sometimes a minute or more.

I have to wait for my AUTO light to turn off first...then I turn the AC off (which kicks on as soon as I set the fan to the highest setting) and then the heat quickly starts blowing. All in about 30-40 seconds after firing up the rig in the mornings.

Will try this as well when I leave work in a little bit and then again later tonight on the way home from a meeting. Kids already like the heat once it warms up, they will really love this if it works.

On my LX - all I needed to do was set the temp to max (Hi) and set the fan speed to max (Hi) and it worked. I have tried it 3-4 times now. Love it!

This post has completely changed my life! Tested from -5F to 25F and works perfectly, toasty and warm in under a minute.

I did this:
On my LX - all I needed to do was set the temp to max (Hi) and set the fan speed to max (Hi) and it worked. I have tried it 3-4 times now. Love it!

Seriously cool feature but seems kind of counter intuitive that you have to set the temp to high. Why not have it just come on when it is much colder outside than the interior temperature is set to. IE.. If I like to keep the cabin at 73 why should I have to go and manually set the temp to high then adjust it back down to 73 once it warms up inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom