The Vegtable Garden Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpg

Somehow, my jalapeños, banana peppers, and bell peppers are still growing despite a couple frosts and an early snow.
IMG_20141102_164923787.jpg

Pepper plants are very durable. They won't set fruit if it's too cold or hot but it usually takes a hard freeze to kill them.

The only thing left in my garden is a couple of chard plants and some beet seedlings I tried to get going last month.

Peppers are all I have left. Everything else has been ripped out. However, I have a couple rouge cherry tomato plants that randomly started growing in a bed I never planted them in. Assuming rodents carried some 'maters over there and left seeds. I didn't get my winter garden in this year, and every time in the past I've planted it this late was a waste of time. Guess I'll have to buy my greens from the farmer's market this winter:meh:.

I may set up a couple of small cold frames, we might get enough warm days to germinate some lettuce.

Last edited:
Tried Watermelons a few years back when the kids were young. Did not go too bad until my then 6 yr old checked the ripeness with a framing hammer.

I'm going to try to get garlic planted Sunday.
"Plant garlic on the shortest day of the year and harvest on the longest."

We'll see how that works.

Had not heard that saying, I always heard plant 2 weeks before the first expected frost. Planted mine in October this year and last year. Had a great crop last year, we'll see. Good luck.

I'm going to try to get garlic planted Sunday.
"Plant garlic on the shortest day of the year and harvest on the longest."

We'll see how that works.

Garlic and onions are absurdly easy to grow. They need good light, other than that, not much care. I just planted mine last week and have a bunch of greens popping up.:) IMO, the greens are the best part, if I get anything to harvest, it's a bonus.

Garlic planted.
My phone does not like this site no pictures :(

Last edited:
You'll be eating better shortly.
Yeah I saw the chard shooting up.
I planted a bunch of grocery store garlic in one bed and there will be greens from that soon.
Probably a dozen of the beets I planted last fall are growing.

Yeah I saw the chard shooting up.
I planted a bunch of grocery store garlic in one bed and there will be greens from that soon.
Probably a dozen of the beets I planted last fall are growing.

Nice, my chard and beets have been slow, onions and garlic are growing like mad. The garlic I found had some of the biggest cloves I've ever seen, if the greens are any indication, they're going to be huge.

Snow peas are off to a good start, there's some good stir fry in my future.

Do yourself a favor, when the beets get big enough, pinch some greens, add some grape tomatoes, garlic and lemon pepper and saute in butter, tasty.

Lol..
Same family, native hops from the West fork of the Black River..:cool:

So do you eat it or smoke it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom