Spend My Money... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JayDoc

boop/bop/beep
Threads
Somewhere between Manhattan and Lawrence.
well, sort of.
I am close to nailing down a nice donation to our local cub scout group and we'd like to buy the boys a zero degree sleeping bag, a mess kit, and a canteen as a basic outfitting for camping.
We're going to come in at about $75 per kid.
Here is what I'm thinking thus far and would like any input about better options out there with consideration to out $75 budget:
51HjxI6ojdL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUSO4...lid=3EP99EYVI3J0L&coliid=I1SUTF8H8CXEZ1&psc=1

415CasFp6FL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B49VVTA...olid=3EP99EYVI3J0L&coliid=I21R5XRWDKKFK&psc=1

41awXZsDLHL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NCDE48...lid=3EP99EYVI3J0L&coliid=I2ZE8FNUJW4XAY&psc=1

The bag is the coleman north rim 0 degree bag coming in at $41.50
The mess kit is a light my fire 8 piece kit and is $21.81
The nalgene bottle is the basic 1 quart at $9.99

...in case you didn't want to click on the links.

I like those suggestions, thank you.

Do they need a zero degree bag? If not, no reason to carry that extra weight.

As cub scouts, they probably don't need the zero bag, but we're hoping we can encourage most of these kids to continue on to boy scouts and they will need a zero degree bag then.
But i hear ya, this coleman is certainly not the bag I'd want to have to hump in/out. Not so much b/c of weight as size.

I went all the way through scouting and I had a 15 degree bag. Wasn't super high quality or anything. I think it was a $50 a slumberjack. I like in alabama and it fit my needs very well. I pushed it to the limit quite a few times and can't say I was comfy.
If the bag is used quite a bit don't count on it being able to keep that 0 degree rating.

I don't know where these scouts live but here in alabama a nice 35 to 40 degree bag is what I needed the most. It's not a cold weather bag and is good enough for most everything else. And it packs up very small. About the same size as a fleece bag but it will keep me warmer if needed.

I think these are pretty good choices. I would consider going with a slightly warmer temp bag to save some money and the nalgene should be the one with large opening to make is more versatile.

Also, try the bc25 outdoor gear price checker to find this stuff on sale

Good luck with the gear hunt.

well, sort of.
I am close to nailing down a nice donation to our local cub scout group and we'd like to buy the boys a zero degree sleeping bag, a mess kit, and a canteen as a basic outfitting for camping.
We're going to come in at about $75 per kid.
Here is what I'm thinking thus far and would like any input about better options out there with consideration to out $75 budget:
51HjxI6ojdL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUSO4...lid=3EP99EYVI3J0L&coliid=I1SUTF8H8CXEZ1&psc=1

415CasFp6FL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B49VVTA...olid=3EP99EYVI3J0L&coliid=I21R5XRWDKKFK&psc=1

41awXZsDLHL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NCDE48...lid=3EP99EYVI3J0L&coliid=I2ZE8FNUJW4XAY&psc=1

You might consider Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com). They have fairly good deals to begin with, but I have found if you buy something, like a pair of socks, they will flood you with emails and offers like "75% or 50% off you next order"...). So if you broke this up a little, and just bought a few nalgene bottles, they would sent you a coupon, then you buy the mess kit, then get another coupon...

Last year my wife wanted a bunch of Smartwool socks for Christmas. The first pair I bought was like $12 (which is still a fairly good deal), by the last order I placed they were down to around $3/pair with the discount. I think she ended up with close to 16 pairs in the end.

Yeah, I was going to say that if I can fit a whole den of kids in one bag, maybe that'd be an option. As it is I couldn't spend that on myself, let alone on a 9 year old.
As always though I appreciate the ideas.

Thanks for the tip FJ, I haven't looked into sierratrading in a while.

You can find the system for 75$ if you look around. I just looked at the link and yes that is a crazy price. Cheeperthandirt is where I bought my familys bags.
Still $75 for just the bag, the OP's original list included a mess kit and Nalgene bottle.
Cost aside the Mil sleeping system goes way beyond overkill for a bunch of Cub Scouts. And because it's designed for full grown men in combat gear it would probably sleep cold for a little kid because of the loose fit.

Still $75 for just the bag, the OP's original list included a mess kit and Nalgene bottle.
Cost aside the Mil sleeping system goes way beyond overkill for a bunch of Cub Scouts. And because it's designed for full grown men in combat gear it would probably sleep cold for a little kid because of the loose fit.
Not going to argue. But a bunch of boy scouts should be sleeping in debris huts, in space blanks laid on hot stones, drinking from a straw out of the stream, and cooking with fabricated utensils. Actually learning bushcraft. Or maybe that's not what boy scouts do?
FYI my kids are 7 and 9 and neither one complains of being cold. And yes we are out in the weeds a fare amount.:beer:

A
Not going to argue. But a bunch of boy scouts should be sleeping in debris huts, in space blanks laid on hot stones, drinking from a straw out of the stream, and cooking with fabricated utensils. Actually learning bushcraft. Or maybe that's not what boy scouts do?
FYI my kids are 7 and 9 and neither one complains of being cold. And yes we are out in the weeds a fare amount.:beer:
Boy Scouting is a lot more than camping, take a look at the merit badges. As far as camping goes, the ones that want to take their outdoor skills to advance levels can do that. Most of the time camping trips are tents and SMORES, what the average people do.

FWIW my Dad taught me a lot more about woodcraft than I learned in scouts. Glad to hear you are teaching your kids.:)

Check out campmor.com also. I know our troop bought quite a few tents from them years ago and we got a discount. They may work with you also since all the gear is for scouts.

Check out campmor.com also. I know our troop bought quite a few tents from them years ago and we got a discount. They may work with you also since all the gear is for scouts.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom