'11 GX460 Water Pump Seepage at 59k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed coolant seepage around weep hole on water pump before taking in to dealer for 60k service and, I'm hoping, quietening the rear brakes after two previous attempts.

Service advisor called to confirm it is leaking and that they were replacing the water pump, having seen this on a few other GXs.

Curious if anyone else has seen evidence of or had to replace water pump, due to.

Seems common on the 5.7 as well as the 5.0 in the IS-F.

Common on all toyota v8's (4.6,5.0,5.7). It's an issue with the seals and the damn red coolant. Had pump replaced on 08 LC200 @. 65k

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

I disassembled my pump and found main pump seal compromised which allowed coolant through weep hole. Bearing contact was minimal if at all. Pump still operates fine but got tired of topping off my system. That thing leaked for about 6mos before I decided to change it.

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

Failed toyota and lexus water pumps are very common. I made a lot of $$$ on those as a dealership tech for years.

I just had to do this on my GX460. The car only has 65k miles on it, but the mechanic said that the water pump was leaking. They replaced the drive belt at the same time.

Here are the part numbers for the water pump and the drive belt, in case anybody is interested. Prices are from Longo Lexus, and are approximate.

Water pump 16100-09525 $125
Drive belt 90916-A2033 $55
2 gallons coolant, Toyota super long life coolant, pink (NOT RED) (~$25/gallon)

Also, I paid $688 in labor for this work.

I just had this completed tody on my wife's 2017 GX with only 28K. Luckily it was caught by the dealership during the 30K service. Because we are heading out on a 3K round trip.

FYI... It was cover under the factory warranty.

Reactions: r2m
100k coolant flush on 2017 surprisingly exposed another waterpump leak, after one at 65k.

Damn things aren’t cheap. Starting to think Mr. T’s bonus to the dealers.

My ‘12 had a significant leaking water pump at around 38k miles that was covered under the powertrain warranty. I’ve had it since early 2017 and now around 79k miles. I do simple drain and fill of coolant since then every 2 years. Going to replace the coolant hoses here in next month with another drain and fill.. they are now 10 years old.. still look good but just being proactive with maintenance.

Almost 110k on the clock and no leaks of any kind. Albeit, when I had the alternator swapped out, they said the plastic on the radiator was cracked so I did have to replace that. But on a high note, the radiator had to come out anyways to put the new alternator in so there was no extra charge for labor.
But still praying I don't get one of the water pump or valley leaks.
So far, so good...

I use a multimeter to test the acidity of the coolant. Apparently the coolant turns acidic over time and eats away at the gaskets which contributes to the leaks. I did a coolant change at 50k and have my fingers crossed that'll help prevent any water pump or valley leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom