Caster - who has tested different front Caster settings to determine the best setting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I get the feeling the closer you can get to the +3.5 to +4.0 caster the better. Having the coils reset down 1" will also help tighten them up a fraction?

Murf, how's your front diff pinion angle?

I don't want to add plates, will run tests this weekend and see how +3.5 caster plays out, the top cruising speed on the beach is limited to 80kph, yes you can drive fast but at around 90kph is a pleasant drive at low tide. If +3.5 works at those speeds I will be happy?

noted 4.5 is ideal. Would excessive castor like +6 have ill effects?

6 is chasing the potential for high speed wandering and 4.5 is already pushing that, admittingly. I can put my truck at nearly anything and drive it(adjustable upper link) if anyone wanted a real seat of the pants testimony at different casters.

My entire lower drivetrain is fresh. Wheel bearings, etc. there would essentially be no variables except the caster differences.

I need something to do besides drink beer or Masterbate. I wanted to swap out diffs to 5.29, but it's done nothing but rain since Friday afternoon..

IIRC, I measured mine with stk springs at 3 deg. After installing the OME 2.5" heavies up front, I was at 0 degrees. With 33" Toyo MTs on Toyota steelies, it was ok, and then I moved up to 35" Toyo MTs and added a 1" poly spacer and then hings got a little scary. The tire and wheel combo is approx 110 lbs, so every bump in the roads requires steering corection, but it is something that I have now become accustomed with.
After playing around with a used ARB and my Superwinch the last few weeks, I noticed with the extra weight it feels more unstable at highway speeds. If it stays like this (the entire interior is presently out except the drivers seat), I will have to do something as it doesn't feel that safe to drive at highway speeds. Now I'm thinking of going to IM 3" springs up front to correct the stink bug look due to the extra weight, and I have also been thinking about what Boogerweldz mentioned about rotating the brkts on the axle. Damn, I should have cut the brkts off the HDJ81 my buddy parted out recently.

Yeah, I get the feeling the closer you can get to the +3.5 to +4.0 caster the better. Having the coils reset down 1" will also help tighten them up a fraction?

Murf, how's your front diff pinion angle?

Agreed, 3.0-4.0 is a sweet spot imo and lowering the 1" in front will help dial in the caster as well.

Watrob, Funny you should ask on the front diff pinion angle after the plates were installed. Here is my answer ~
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/solving-my-grrr-noise.784141/#post-8909252

Last edited:
Well dropping the front by an inch has certainly made it behave a lot better, caster would be now around +3.20. The oem 80 series coils measured 19.5" and after having them reset came back at 18.5". It also tightened the coils up and the ride now is a little more firmer.

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

Good looking rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom