Replacing/repairing ACSD on 1hdt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new injection shop is telling me that my old shop should have repaired/replaced the ACSD instead of removing it and putting a blanking plate. They say without it the timing will always be a compromise especially since we have cold weather here 6 months of the year. Any opinions?

Are you sure your pump timing is into spec?
Do you run a fuel additive, a correct weight synthetic oil for winter?
Had your injectors done?
Rad hose heaters are garbage on this style of engines due to the coolant design
Circulating coolant heater would help out dramatically.

You do not need it.
For really cold days or just the luxury of instant heat install a tank type circulating heater.
The kit normally comes with everything you need.
Mount the tank low and isolate from vibration to increase longevity.
The best spot to access for intake via 5/8" hose is your RHD passenger side above front tire between frame and rubber skirting. A long extension and proper socket will facilitate removal of block drain and installation of new fitting.
Really simple procedure and something you can do yourself in a driveway if needed.
Put the unit on a timer and enjoy!

You do not need it.
For really cold days or just the luxury of instant heat install a tank type circulating heater.
The kit normally comes with everything you need.
Mount the tank low and isolate from vibration to increase longevity.
The best spot to access for intake via 5/8" hose is your RHD passenger side above front tire between frame and rubber skirting. A long extension and proper socket will facilitate removal of block drain and installation of new fitting.
Really simple procedure and something you can do yourself in a driveway if needed.
Put the unit on a timer and enjoy!

Thanks, already planning on doing that and have purchased a nice 1500watt zerostart unit. My problem however is not with heat it's from timing issues related to removal of the ACSD.

Are you sure your pump timing is into spec?
Do you run a fuel additive, a correct weight synthetic oil for winter?
Had your injectors done?
Rad hose heaters are garbage on this style of engines due to the coolant design
Circulating coolant heater would help out dramatically.

For Fuel additive I'm using FPPF Total Power, I run good oil, injectors have been done and will be re-checked and re-done if they weren't done properly. Pump will also be recalibrated however as I mentioned, the shop is telling me that I need to put back the ACSD to ensure I've got proper timing for cold weather.

My question is primarily with respect to how people in cold weather are setting the timing on their pumps after removing the ACSD. My understanding is that there is a normal and advanced setting. When the truck starts and is cold, the ACSD advances the timing to the advanced setting until engine is warm then retards it back to the normal (warm) setting. If you remove the ACSD, are you just picking a number in the middle or are you favoring a timing that is more advanced compared to normal. Again, this question is primarily for those who live in places with cold weather and who have removed the ACSD.

Thanks.

So,
Does it start and run well?
Decent fuel mileage?
You will not really notice the lack of ACSD and for pure comparison our 1HZ's never had ACSD's and start quite well. Your 24 volt starter kicks even better than our 12 volt 1HZ's no problem.
Better yet if you install the zerostart your ACSD is redundant as the engine will already be warm.

When the weather gets colder the starting is rough with lots of smoke till it starts to warm up. Once running it's decent although mileage could be better. Problem with relying only on zero start is I'm not always somewhere I can plug in and ask the smoking on cold start really stinks/smells too.

Last edited:
How are your glow plugs? Have these checked first, change as a set.

Plugs replaced as a set already, work well

The ACSD timing issue is minimal but it is your money.

A diesel will grunt, smoke and to some stink till warmed up after that it should purr like a kitten. With or without ACSD
I think you have a lower rad hose heater...inferior to the zerostart.
Your truck should start well in to -30c without being plugged in below that we commonly double cycle the glow plugs, let them sit, engage starter and even play with the throttle.
From my experience: If a diesel will not start in cold weather (unplugged heater) check for/smell for fuel, if no fuel play with throttle.
I ran 15w-40 all year round, never added an additive and was never stranded though that 24v starter worked hard on occasion.

I'm adding the zerostart soon, lower rad heater isn't great. In -30 if its been sitting a couple days its very difficult.to start even with cycling the glow plugs a few times. Have to give it gas as a start it then deal with smoke for a few minutes till it heats up. Could it be my batteries that don't have enough amps?

I was having some rough start a few years ago when it was -5 for a while, tracked it down to air getting in the rubber fuel lines between the IP and the tank in various spots

Just went for a drive. Cycled plugs 4 times and would not start without me giving it gas then the smoke came....its only 6deg centigrade. Serenity now.

I wonder if you try this, next time you start it cold, pump the primer for a bit until its hard just incase the fuel started to drain back (I tried this when I had the small cracks in the fuel lines) and then start her and see what happens?

but something is deff going wonky

All this since they installed the new boost compensator and adjusted the pump. Something definitely of I think

Will try that, maybe air in the lines?

have you replaced your filter mount, sorry i forget the technical name.
Anyways they are known to take in air. I suspect mine is going a little bit also.
Are you sure your pump timing is set correctly?

Will test the primer tomorrow. The running is definitely not right as its a compromise of two settings without the acsd.

make sure your injection timing is set properly in spec.
You will need some funky tools to do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom