Glow Plug Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my 85 4x4 pickup with a 2lt on the road. I bought it last year. It came without an engine. Other than faded paint this truck is in as good of shape as any I have seen. I have another 85 diesel I bought for parts that I was going to use the engine out of. I ended up trading a 86 Ford Ranger 4x4 diesel and some cash for a recently rebuilt 2lt.
This truck is a dream. I have owned almost all the small diesel trucks from the 80s available in the US and this is my favorite. My glow plugs are not working. I am getting juce to the solenoid but only a brief flash on the test light on the out side when the key is turned on. I am guessing this is my problem. I have not been able to find a solinoid localy or on line. Eventually I will install a manual swich but for now any help finding a solinoid would be appriciated.

I'm not sure about your truck but my 1984 2L has 2 glow plug relays (one more round in shape and the other more square like, both on the driver side inner fender area) Which could be easily be replaced with a 12 volt relay as long as it could handle the current. Before you replace them though I would make sure the wiring is right and one of the relays is shot. I just replaced my engine and had to play with the wiring to get it back to the factory setup and now it works very nicely. Good luck

I don't even know what a 2lt is, but if you look at glow plugs under Diesel FAQ there's great information, I assume you have 2 relays because you have a timer and super-glow. If so that section explains it. When it comes to a manual switch search "Wilson switch", there's tons of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom