Starter Failing Again... after less than 2 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my second starter fail less than 2 years ago... actually I haven't dug up the receipt but it may be much less. The third starter I had installed, a re-built Denzo, was re re-built by a local starter guy to ensure it was as re-built as possible. I had heard some re-builts weren't done that well, so trusted my independent mechanic's recommendation to use this local starter guy.

Well, two days ago I got the dreaded clicking when trying to start, only to have it start right up after trying again. I can't believe this starter is on the fritz.

Any advice on how to ensure my fourth starter lasts longer?

Bad ones happen. Do you drive huge miles with lots of starts? I swapped mine twice over 331k miles/ 16 years so your interval doesn't sound right unless you been getting some bad rebuilt starters.

The "click" can be caused by other things. Weak battery or poor/intermittent cable connections are most likely.

I checked battery and alternator - they are fine. However, I don't recall it clicking like this the last two times it was failing.

The OE part is a Denzo, and it's not really the cost of the starter, the the price of labor to get to it.

My original starter contacts began the dreaded click between 70k-80k. I finally replaced them at 100k with OEM contacts. I repaired a few other Toyota/Denso starters for friends and neighbors. At the time, numerous E-bay sellers had contact kits for sale for about 1/3 the price of Toyota, but the aftermarket contacts weren't as thick as the OEM contacts. I also machined a gauge block to set the outer contacts orthogonal to the plunger before tightening. I have 187k on it now and so far no clicking. Not sure how much longer before it's time to replace them again. We rack up a lot of highway miles so that probably contributes to longevity of the contacts.

I did check ground straps - looked good.

I checked my receipt, I only have 20K miles on this starter which is just over two years. Can't believe this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom