Replacement Carpet Sets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll get some shots this weekend...I just got around starting it...have the cargo area done....middle shouldn't be tough...the front still has me nervous. The closed cell foam / MLV part of the process has gone well.

Major-
Where did you source the CCF/MLV material? What thickness is it and how well is it laying down under the carpet?

I'm almost done rehabbing/sound proofing my doors and panels and getting ready to move on to the flooring. Plan is to lay down deadener mat/quietcrap, then strip all the old jute off the factory carpet and use the MLV in its place. I don't want the MLV to be too thick. Thanks.

I got the MLV from http://www.soundproofingamerica.us/
CCF from http://www.supersoundproofingsales....ick-by-48-wide-per-foot/productinfo/09-42719/

don't recall why I bought from separate places..but both products are very good. Wherever you get your MLV make sure to ask and ensure its virgin material....I've heard the regrind material can really smell toxic.

Both of the materials are 1/8" think...the CCF can compress down to nothing, very light (can grab, stick easy though)...that's why you double it up in the footwells.

1/8" mlv is the ideal thickness for the car....and you would never want to go thicker...stuff is HEAVY....1lb per square foot. For the most part its been pretty easy to work with, just have to take you time cutting to get it to lay down (stuff won't do compound curves. the rear carpet laid nicely in the back area...its 40oz so the weight and the rubber backing have seem to make it pretty easy to get it to conform...once I get the passenger sections complete I'll post some more shots.

couple of shots of the CCF and MLV. Hadn't finished trimming the front section...laid down even better, really conformed nicely.

IMG_3849.JPG IMG_3850.JPG

couple of shots of the CCF and MLV. Hadn't finished trimming the front section...laid down even better, really conformed nicely.

View attachment 956235 View attachment 956236
I got the MLV from http://www.soundproofingamerica.us/
CCF from http://www.supersoundproofingsales....ick-by-48-wide-per-foot/productinfo/09-42719/

don't recall why I bought from separate places..but both products are very good. Wherever you get your MLV make sure to ask and ensure its virgin material....I've heard the regrind material can really smell toxic.

Both of the materials are 1/8" think...the CCF can compress down to nothing, very light (can grab, stick easy though)...that's why you double it up in the footwells.

1/8" mlv is the ideal thickness for the car....and you would never want to go thicker...stuff is HEAVY....1lb per square foot. For the most part its been pretty easy to work with, just have to take you time cutting to get it to lay down (stuff won't do compound curves. the rear carpet laid nicely in the back area...its 40oz so the weight and the rubber backing have seem to make it pretty easy to get it to conform...once I get the passenger sections complete I'll post some more shots.

Gotcha, ok, you are talking about two different products...so you have 3 layers of different materials on your floor.

I have several yards of Ensolite from raam audio coming this week to complete the doors and panels. Probably won't use it on the floor, (maybe the wheel wells). Going with quiet crap, then MLV, tthen jute less carpet. Should make a world of difference, the doors are already 100% better and I'm only half done with them.

Oh yeah, this is a carpet thread...carry on.

I went SOR premium gray and it is a most satisfactory product. Used the felt kit...quiet enough for me.

The expense of the carpet kits and the fact it will just get dirty while out on trails has me leaning towards a vinyl floor. Looking at this place.... They also sell carpet kits with sound proofing.

http://www.all-car-carpets.com.au/p...ND_CRUISER_60,61,62_SERIES_//1980-1990/_WAGON

That the part is designated for '80 through '90 tells you that it probably doesn't differentiate between the tall floor/short seat posts of the early production 60's and the short floor/tall seat posts of the late year 60's and 62's. It will likely come moulded for the tall floor as a one size fits all and will have to be cut and sewn to fit on a short floor. I fought this on CCOT's carpet on Frankie and it was a PITA and looks poor.

I would certainly be interested in a review if you choose to try it.

I am leaning toward the SOR carpet kit. Not sure if it will fit my 85 though. I have an 86 parts truck and my builder is an 85. Like someone else pointed out the seat brackets/floor board seat mounts are very different between 85s and 86s. My 85 has the tall floor horns or short seat brackets so the carpet from the 86 won't fit right around the seats and comes up short on the edges near the front mounts from being held up higher. Anyway I appreciate all the info on this forum.

Hey Major Nelson-

For completeness you should update this thread with your carpet postings from the "What did you do with your 60 this weekend" thread. It's really good info.

similar question...but where can I find a rubber mat "kit" for the 60....to replace the carpet, one that is cut and fits and is made for the truck?

Thanks..

I run the the cargo liner and back seat liner and have been pleased with both. I installed both on top of the factory carpet and under the trim plates.

Hey Major Nelson-

For completeness you should update this thread with your carpet postings from the "What did you do with your 60 this weekend" thread. It's really good info.

Skniper,

Thanks, appreciate the compliment. Here you go.

Marine grade 40oz with a rubber backing. http://www.marinecarpeting.com/boat...et-w-nuwave-backing-12-x-various-lengths.html Front and middle sections were pretty straight forward...the front took a while to make a template with butcher paper, transferred to the carpet...remeasure, cut, test-fit, cut, test fit, cut. Really happy with how it came out....the front is contoured even better now that its had a day to sit in there an "relax" a little. I was concerned it would come out looking cheap, but I have to admit, finished product is better than I had hoped...carpet itself is really high grade stuff...love it.

The installed pictures are much lighter in color vs the actual (closer to the color laying on the floor). So glad this one is done.

carpetinstall#3.JPG CarpetMiddleInstall.JPG carpetinstall#1.JPG CarpetMiddleCutout.JPG Carpetcutout.JPG

Last edited:
Did SOR do away with the brown carpet kit? It seems they now only sell the gray kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom