HJ45 (2H motor) complete vehicle rebuild thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huge thanks and a cyber hand shake for your service
I have a hj47 that should dock from oz this week

I have bookmarked your web page

You will make it!!!'

Thanks man! Hey if you are interested my target date for driving through the mid-west and up to Alaska is next year with my HJ. We could always convoy up to Alaska together :).

Vince, I just read your bio on your overland website. I'm a 25A with 3.5 years enlisted and coming up on 10 commissioned. After Korea, I start ILE at FT. Gordon (Nov-Mar). After that, no idea on where I'm going. Take a look at my photos under my profile... I've had a few trucks, to include 2 HJ47s.

Maybe we can link up later this year when I get back.

25A? Communications is always a great skill to have. When I was enlisted I started out as a 21B combat engineer in Iraq. After graduate school I commissioned a 25A as well. I then branched 38A at Ft.Bragg, which is Civil Affairs. I was a Civil Affairs team leader in Afghanistan for 10 months, until I was wounded. What is your commitment to the military at this point? My target date for the journey is next spring, I want to head up to Alaska and then start down the Pan-American to California. At that point depending on if my house sold or not ( I would like to sell it prior to leaving the country, but that it is not a requirement), I will do last minute tweaks and preparations to the vehicle prior to heading into Mexico. I have a extra seat in the Land Cruiser :), but if you have your own truck we could always convoy!

- Vincent

Update on the engine rebuild:

My and my friend who is a diesel mechanic thought long and hard about pulling the liners and having the new un-machined dry sleeves that came with the rebuild kit installed and machined in the block. However, after heavy deliberation we decided to keep the liners we have in the block. The reason is they are within tolerance specifications after checking the piston ring gap according to the engine manual and they are in excellent shape with no pitting at all. There was a little vertical scoring, but that came out with us honing the liners. The cost benefit analysis came down to spending allot of unnecessary time/money to send a block off to have new liners put in, when the liners I have in it are perfectly serviceable.

We honed the piston liners in the block and are preparing for the install of the rebuilt pistons. We also took a straight edge tool and some feeler gauges to measure the head of the engine to ensure it was completely level and within required tolerance levels according to the engine manual. This is important to ensure a good seal for compression when you bolt the head back to the block. According to the specifications in the engine manual it is a little out of tolerance levels for the measurements that I got. I am sending the head off Monday to a machine shop. They will machine the head to the correct tolerance levels, install the new intake/exhaust valves, and pre-combustion chambers.

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

sounds like a great trip.

this is the homemade setup we use for pulling 2h liners. pretty simple; just some threaded bar attached to 4 legs. the bottom piece is machined to fit the liner. run some vertical welds up the inside of the liner first to shrink it. we try and fit the replacements on a hot day. leave the block in the sun and have the new liners in the freezer. simply oil quickly and belt them in with a heavy hammer. the loose piece you see is machined to fit the top of the liners to hit them in. we have done these as inbuilds with the block still in the tojo also. im running a fleet of 2h work utes; 2 hj47 and 2 or 3 hj70. they all run the older 2h liner block.

anyways best of luck to you; i will be following this. and i will add of course you are welcome for beers etc at my camp on the west side of aus.

005.JPG

Try to get the piston coolers from a 12ht engine. They have a higher flow rate,,this will help the pistons in your turbocharged 2h

Are you really going to be island hopping on the 25 islands in the Caribbean mentioned on your website ? If so great let me know you are too much welcome.

:cheers:

Hey guys! Sorry been a little bit since my last update. Here is the status:

- My old head was magna fluxed and found to be defective beyond repair. One of the chambers that houses the pre-combustion chamber is beyond repair. I ordered a brand new head with the pre-combustion chambers installed already. I will be installing the new valves/valve springs when the head comes in later this month/early September and continuing the rebuild

- My Donaldson air filter box and precleaner came in

- I am pulling out my stock 4 speed transmission/transfer case and installing a rebuilt 5 speed H55/transfer case combo from a 1987 FJ45 that I got a good deal on. This will give me the peace of mind with the transmission/transfer case, but also a stronger transfer case/highway speed with the 5 speed transmission.

It has been a while since a update. I had to wait for some key components to come in prior to continuing the engine build.

I measured the tolerance levels on the engines head with feeler gauges and discovered it was warped. This is something you cannot see with the naked eye, but can effect compression. I had to ordered a new head and new valve springs (I checked the tension on the springs and they were bad as well). After assembling the head, it was installed on the block and I did a valve spring adjustment prior to putting the valve cover on. I installed allot of various parts on the engine such as a new water pump, intake manifold, turbo manifold, new starter, new fan clutch, new alternator, and the oil pan, etc. The old alternator was bad and I ended up having to make custom brackets to fit the new 80 amp alternator. The mount where the alternator brackets to on the engine was to short (see in attached comparison photo). I also had to fabricate a tension bracket that I bolted to the shock absorber bracket, to adjust the belt tension on the pulley assembly.

I included some pictures of the above process. The engine is nearing completion and I have several key finishing touches before it is ready and I can move on to the rest of the build:

- I need to finish the installation process for the turbo (This includes: Installing the EGT and PSI boost gauges for the turbo, adjust turbo boost after the intercooler is installed which is probably around 12-13 PSI, hook up a custom piping bracket to the front of the turbine on the turbo to the external Donaldson air filter box which brings in cooler external ambient air temperatures from the snorkel, hooking up the intake and return oil lines on the turbo, and a few other miscellaneous things.)

- I need to install the PWR water to air intercooler for the turbo (This includes: Installing the barrel air exchange unit from the intake manifold to the turbo, mounting the inline filler where the coolant goes into, mounting the electric water pump that pumps the coolant, and mounting the radiator/fan that cools the coolant which will probably be mounted about the valve cover somewhere.

- Mount and installed the coolant system for the engine (This includes: Installing the radiator, piping, fan, coolant reservoir, and fan shroud).

- Install the new heat exchange unit on the firewall that I had to replace.

- The alternator after fabricating a custom bracket is physically installed, but now I need to complete the electrical installation of the wires form the unit.

- The starter is physically installed, but I need to complete the electrical installation of the wires to the unit.

- Install the battery tray and Red Top Optima battery (Later I will fabricate a dual battery tray for the Red Top and a Yellow Top Optima in a dual battery configuration).

- Installed the nozzle leakage pipe with washers (I had to order replacements) on top of the fuel injectors.

- Install the heater pipe

I am sure there are allot of miscellaneous things I am missing, but this is more of a macro snapshot of where I am at on the build.

Currently I am headed to Virginia this weekend to stay with a good friend of mine while I attend hyperbaric treatment for my TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and continue the build. I will start by taking the body off the frame and continue working on the engine. I currently have another wounded veteran friend of mind that got medically retired last year with me who is planning to start the overland Journey on the Pan-American Highway tentative May 2015. This vehicle has been a great outlet for me to help with my anxiety and when I cannot sleep. I will continue on this build and working towards the journey. I will continue to update as I progress.

I also want to thank my family for starting a Gofundme page to help facilitate this journey for us on this journey: http://www.gofundme.com/cqc76o.

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

Vincent the engine looks good with the turbo hanging off it and the 5 speed will be the ticket for fuel consumption and the truck wont be as loud on the hwy. Don't forget to add a s*** load off insulation everywhere in the troopy to make your travels cooler in the heat warmer in the cold and best of all quite while traveling. Its looking good mate great work. :)

Thanks oz, I appreciate it man. I am doing a full frame off restoration at this point. I can't wait just to drive it again. I decided to add P/S and probably A/C as well.

Thanks for serving Vincent we all appreciate your sacrifices, it looks like you are doing a great job on the rebuild, I have an FJ45 up here in the Orlando area that I will be starting a project on, maybe I'll plan a trip down with it to hang out and check out your project. God Bless and God's speed on the journey

Thanks I can't wait, I have another buddy of mine who is going that was wounded three times and was retired last year around the same time as me. I look at this as more then a trip, but more as a healing journey for us.

That would be awesome, I will be back in FL around Feb-Mar. Lets link up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom