Adding additional shock absorbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I am working on my frankenstein euro hj60 to be pieced together from imported US fj60, JDM fj62. I am still at early stages of my work. Got body off the frame for body work, and while at that I am looking to work on the frame. When finished, the truck will be driven on dirt roads a lot (not hard trails but rough bumpy dirt roads), so good dampening is a must for me. I am looking to buy ome suspension but still thinking to fit additional shock absorbers on all 4 corners to soften the ride. I remember seeing 70 series troop carriers from Europe traveling through Mongolia fitted with extra shocks. Anyone has experience fitting extra shocks? Please share your experience and thoughts.
Here is a borrowed pic showing what I am talking about.
Doubleshock.jpg

Certainly do-able if you want to weld, but wouldnt a softer spring rate be an easier fix?

I am going to move my shock mount to fit cable lockers in the rear so some welding will be in order. I am afraid the softer springs are not good for weight carrying as I will be packing a lot of stuff.

After having watched "Long Way Round" I sympathize with your desire to soften some of those horrendous Mongolian roads. The thing is, a properly designed single shock can do 95% of what double shocks can. The one area that multiple shocks are superior would be for heat dissipation which would help combat fade. This is vital to race trucks, but not so much for a typical Cruiser on holiday, and it's only in instances where rules or budgets dictate using less expensive off-the-shelf shocks. It's also very easy to over dampen the suspension and worsen the overall ride.
What's your budget and access to replacement parts?

Hmm...? Dirt roads, carrying heavy loads...? So what are you smuggling? o_O :D
lol, looking to build me expo style 60 series cruiser to travel around the country. not many 60 series cruisers around here but lots and lots of 70,80, 90,100,200 and LXs. So should be unique.

Davaa, there are other guys much more qualified to give you a specific answer to your question about suspension both here in the '60' section, but also in the 'Hard Core' section...

...but is putting in better seats also an option?

Also, from personal experience if found wearing a light weightlifting belt (like the one below) while driving -even if the suspension is 'good' - helps tons if you are spending extended periods traveling off pavement...saves the kidneys and lower back...

belt for weightlifting driving.jpg

Better seats is a great idea, if you have access to suspension seats then that's an even "betterer" idea.

I had the same thought about a suspension seat or air ride(but that's a whole other worm there). What about the shock type that the "monster trucks" run in the front with one mounting point but it's like 3 pistons together. Not sure if they make something that small for a road vehicle.

Other thought is, what if you mounted them on opposite sides of the axle and not side by side like in your pic. Weld on another set of shock mounts to the axle and then fab up a mount on the body some how. Then in theory you would run the same shock because the travel would be equal. Now you would probably pick a lighter shock since you are running 2 on each wheel so that you'd still have travel.

Very cool idea and I hope what ever you do ends up working for ya...gonna subscribe cause now I'm curious what you're gonna do!

I would suggest a single shock, you have to think high performance. Bilstein, Fox, Rancho, Pro-Comp and Fabtech come to mind, as they
offer rebuildable reservoir-type shocks with variable rates. More is not better necessarily. I had a factory quad shock
F-150 before, but I think better technology is the way to go. I also think you should look at your suspension as well. If your springs are needing to firm up to carry heavy loads, the ride will suffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom