The Turtle Shell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started as a $200 Craigslist trailer with 6x5.5 hubs that was sorta shaped like a military trailer. It was built in the 50's at a ship yard in Alabama or Louisiana. As the story goes it was made from galvanized steel. The bottom has a very unique diamond plate steel that I can only remember seeing on tours of old war ships. The axle was a front axle out of a 50's Dodge car that was welded straight. Also, the fenders looked like old fenders off of a 50's truck. It was built for camping and originally had bows on it that were covered like an old covered wagon. I watched it on CL for a month or so at $400 and went and offered the guy $200. It was mine. I bought it for camping and to haul my tools around when I was doing carpentry. It pulled well but had a really bad side to side rock. It was a miserable trip back from Colorado to Oklahoma the first year. At that time it had a wooden lid and hatch and 31" tall tires. This is the earliest picture I could find of it:
IMG00212(2).jpg

This was also before I painted my cruiser its current green and white color. The tow rig is a 95 fzj and probably deserves its own write up eventually.
Last year (of the 4 or so years I have owned the trailer) it received a major overhaul. The lid was replaced with a metal lid with shocks and latches (instead of a bunji cord) and the new fenders were flanked front and rear by flat plates to allow for mounting of propane tank or tool boxes or water cans or whatever. It pulled better with shocks on it, but still rocked. It looked like this:
IMG_20130901_140522.jpg

and this:
IMG_20130830_140934.jpg
I will try and find some better pics too...

Some more pics. First is on the Pecos River at Villa Nueva in New Mexico:
IMG_20130825_195116.jpg
Next a pic from Santa Rosa at the Grocery Store with 5 of the occupants (edit: kids should ride in Landcruisers where there are seatbelts, not in trailers):
IMG_20130824_173635.jpg

Lastly a detail pic of the lid and trailer fully packed. It was built by my friend Ben Gardner whose family owns Kingfisher Cookers here in Oklahoma. He is also a trailer guy:
IMG_20130824_084914 (1).jpg

Last edited:
So that was last year. It worked good for that trip. We had 0 flat tires (compared to the year before where we had 3, I bring several spares). The idea for this year was to make the camper a little lighter because I was possibly going to add some weight. I wanted more outside storage for a cookbox and other items that didn't necessarily need to go in the box. Also, thanks again to my friend Ben Gardner, who I sold an ARB awning too (I work at 4Wheel Parts in OKC), I now also wanted to add an awning. Oh yeah, and I wanted to put the trailer on 35's like my Cruiser so that I could carry two spares and have plenty of extras.
The old frame had to come off because it was made out of 1/4" C-channel. It was heavy. It went back to craigslist for a hundy bill. Also, time to do away with the old car axle. A dexter 3500 lb axle was procured from Redneck. New ProComp steel wheels (4Wheel Parts remember ;) and some decent bfg km2's. Also, the new frame being used was a gift from a friend. It was an old boat or sea-doo trailer. It was plenty long for my plans, but had to be narrowed. Finally, a spare was in order. My good friend Gerald Miller a life-time Toyota addict stepped up with his old spare tire carrier from his 94 Cruiser. Following are some pics from this newest evolution. First, how we removed the old suspension and frame:
20140723_200026.jpg

We winched it over and used a strap to let it down slowly with the nissan:
20140723_200016.jpg

Also, you can see the only usable part from a j**p installed on the back of the trailer: a jk trailer hitch. Now we can attach a hitch platform or a bike rack. More to come...

I know I will probably forget some things, so if anyone has any questions I will be more than happy to answer them. At the back I put two pop-up camper kick stands but will probably change those. They work but I would like to have something more sturdy. Also, I now need a ladder to get in the back. The ARB works well. My camping box is a mobile military office desk. It is heavy but seems like it will be water tight. I will post some pics of it later.
What I have for now. Shot of front tray for outside storage. Ammo box holds trailer related tools and straps:
IMG_20140814_181310.jpg

Friend and customer makes decals. He got carried away but I like it. Guys at work called my Cruiser the Ninja Turtle when I first started at 4WP. It wasn't an F250 so they didn't know what to do:
IMG_20140814_142743.jpg

Cruiser spare tire carrier in place:
IMG_20140813_081045.jpg

Awning up for the first time today:
IMG_20140814_181401.jpg

Notice CocaCola bear chilling... More later. We leave for New Mexico and Colorado in a week.

I used to call my F-150 Turtle, but you win. Mine was not green. I like it, very cool. Looks like you get a lot of use
out of it. Keep the mods coming.

I didn't choose the name it sort of chose the Cruiser. I don't mind it though. Thought about getting some TRD logos made in the same font for the rear quarters.

I realized I haven't posted anything up on here for a few months. The Cruiser has been in the shop this week after I gave up on a P0305 code search. It turned out my injector wire shorted on the head and fried my ECU. So I have been working on the Cruiser when I've had time. My Colorado trip was good, the trailer performed flawlessly. I loved the ARB awning. We had a freezing monsoon rain hit while we were there and force us out of the mountains. We were good until our tents leaked after about 8 hours of rain on Red Mountain. Still a good trip. I will be adding some add-a-leafs to the trailer, and some more tie down options for the front tray. Believe it or not we could have used some more room on and in the trailer. ;) But, I wouldn't want to pull it with any more weight. I will post up some more pics soon.
Jay

I was just looking, what have you done to get the stabilizer legs so long? I can see what kind they are, but not the extension.
I just came back from a trip to the Chilcotin, we were lucky, no rain, but it did get to -6C one night. I hate cold rain!

Cold rain is no fun. I drilled the welds out on the foot pad then sleeved the ends with 2x2. I then rewelded the foot pad on. They hold the weight better than expected. I will eventually build a stronger stand but we were pushing to get the trailer ready for our trip.

Love the trailer! All kinds of ideas stirring in my head now. What awning is that?

Sorry for not responding sooner. Its an ARB, 8' long if I remember right.

Nice work! Love the color combination. Everyone can see you coming and spot you in a campground!

Well haven't been camping for a about a year now. Kinda sad seeing the old trailer just sitting there. I guess time to post up some pics from its current state.

What tongue jack are you guys using? I'm on 35's and I want to be able to roll around the front. My current set up is from the 1950's. Any thoughts?

This is the current state of my trailer. My cook box is on the front and Yakima cross bars with 4 bike holders. Also have a thule tray on the d/s. You can see my jack too. May try a harbor freight special with two wheels. Would like to find a pnuematic tire if any one offers one. Also have a hitch mount bike rack in case I take the entire family's bikes. 7 total.

20151118_081413.jpg
20151118_081425.jpg

20151118_081438.jpg

20151118_081452.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom