Towing with a 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we just sold our tent trailer and are looking to purchase a travel trailer. I would greatly appreciate any experience-based advice from 200 Series owners.

I know the tow limit is 8200 lbs., but I'm going to try to keep the total weight of the trailer to 7000 lbs. (dry weight + cargo).

I think I'd prefer to go no longer than 25 feet.

Any other things I should consider? Do the above limits seem reasonable?

I just helped my mother buy a '14 26' kodiak. She is towing it with a v8 4runner which has a 7000 limit. Added a weight distribution hitch as well. Tows great on highway and did ok up the CO mountains. Which was expected. Trailer weighs around 4500 lbs and had around 1000 in cargo. I would expect LC would have absolutely no problem.

...via IH8MUD app
'13 LC & '14 4R Trail

We also added brake controller and transmission cooler. Easy install.

...via IH8MUD app
'13 LC & '14 4R Trail

I have a brake controller but might have to look into the transmission cooler, although when towing the tent trailer (which was pretty hefty for a tent trailer) the transmission temp gauge didn't budge.

Can I assume the 26' on the Kodiak are end-to-end, or is it a 26' model so another 4-5 feet of tongue have to be added?

I have a brake controller but might have to look into the transmission cooler, although when towing the tent trailer (which was pretty hefty for a tent trailer) the transmission temp gauge didn't budge.

Can I assume the 26' on the Kodiak are end-to-end, or is it a 26' model so another 4-5 feet of tongue have to be added?
Sorry actually it is 27' end to end and 24' inside.

How does re-gearing work? How does it improve towing? How does it affect daily driving?

4.30 gears basically mean that more torque goes to the wheels for any given speed. Towing is easier, acceleration is better. Downside is higher rpms at freeway speed which typically (but not always depending on your cruising speed) leads to lower fuel economy.

Thanks, soslo. 4.30 gears would get your truck back into the stock rpm range. Right now, your 325's have the rpm running low, not a deal breaker running around unloaded, but it will place extra load on things while towing. FWIW, Toyota supplies the tow package Tundra Trucks w/ 4.30 gears, same drivetrain as the 200. The downside is cost, the 4.30 gears are only available from Toyota. The good of that... quality is top of line.

You guys rock - love this site!

Any idea as to the cost (ballpark)? And will Toyota actually do the work, or will they throw their hands up like they did when I wanted a transmission cooler installed on my 4Runner?

The gears only from Toyota can be had for around $1400 - $1500... I can also supply for about that price. You then have install, which could run roughly $500 - $1000 depending on shop rates in your area. For about $2800, one can purchase complete new differentials. Good value there, and install will be much quicker.

Talked to a nice couple that had my dream setup, 2011 200 series towing a 25ft Airstream Flying Cloud. He said the trailer weighs around 5,000lb. No issues whatsoever. $$$ trailer, but boy are they nice inside!

We looked at those and loved them. However, with 3 little ones, a little too nice if you know what I mean.

But it's good to hear something that size is towable by a 200.

Expedition Portal did a nice write-up on those last month. Fully loaded, about the same price as an Airstream.

If that's the case with the price then I personally would rather have the airstream.

Here's what we ended up with:
Nash 1.jpg

Nash 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom