Hammerhead Thumper Build-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So I will document this hear initially and as I get more parts I will start a new build thread over on MTBR.

For the last month or so I have been contemplating a new FS bike just because my back isnt quite what it used to be and the trails I ride could really make good use of a FS bike. I have been a member of MTBR for a number of years and used it alot for the build up of my On-One Inbred 29er steel hardtail. So back to them I went and that is where I learned about the Thumper.

The company has changed hands once but the Thumper is still around and will be repurposed by the new company Switchback Bikes. However, the remaining stock of the Thumpers is being sold off at a price that is real hard to pass up. So after a week or so of reading the different Thumper threads and a few PMs back and forth with the partner (Scott) who is selling them through Switchback I decided to purchase one. This was contingent on my 2009 Kona Jake selling at close to full asking price as I have done a few things to it to make it a bit better (mainly the TRP CX8.4 brakes which are AWESOME CX brakes). Well after only a few days I found a buyer and the bike went with its new owner last night. I had used the bike for 3yrs almost as my main commuter doing anywhere from 12miles minimum a day. But with work so close now, getting back to my original pay scale and what not I figured I no longer needed a dedicated commuter and could modify the Inbred to be my commuter when the time comes (in the mean time it can play double duty).

So this is the start of my FS 29er trail bike thread utilizing the Hammerhead Thumper.
Thumper_black.jpg

And just as a side not I am not getting the Fox CTD. After talking with Scott and my distaste for all things FOX i was able to work a deal with him. With my Inbred, Manitou has earned my loyalty as a very unsung hero of products. This not event to mention their STELLAR customer service (to the point where I actually was talking with one of their head engineers when I was doing some tuning with my fork, you can also read about the clydesdale tuning that myself and another MTBR member did with them regarding the fork on MTBR). Again I went to them with questions and got a call this morning from their customer support team where the guy actually walked through the specs online with me to try and determine what would fit me best from their products, my intended use, and the frame.... Now you see why I am loyal to them!

So as I get the money (squirrelling away as we speak) I will post new things up here..

So I have been riding my On-One Inbred 29er (Purple People Eater) for 3yrs now officially and love my bike. However, as I get old and have more problems with my bike I find myself wanting a more plush ride when I actually do those longer rides (last two weekends have been 15+ miles and I have ridden a total of 5 times so far this year). While not bad, and I know it will improve with my fitness level getting back up to where I was I have found that the "nicety" of having a full sus bike has trumped all. So I have been "researching" for a few months now as I have been out of the components and frames game for 2yrs.
With the recent change of jobs where I am now closer to work than ever I no longer found a need for my dedicated commuter bike (09 Kona Jake). The Jake went for sale on CL and I told myself that if it sold I would then put the money towards a new bike build. It must have been meant to be as the bike sold for full asking no more than 4 days after posting it.
After many pm's back and forth with Scott @ Switchback Bikes I could not pass up the stellar deal he had left on the Hammerhead Thumper frameset so the order was placed and the frame went out promptly. So promptly that I did not realize that Scott had send via 2-day mail and I was surprised to get it on my doorstep yesterday evening!!!
So here is the official start of my HH Thumper build. Now this will be a slower build as I am doing this while also working on my 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 which is my fun vehicle/dirt dog hauler/mtb hauler/whatever rig and does need to be "functional". Luckily I don't believe this thing would quit on me if she wanted to and I have never found a vehicle I loved more.
ETA for the finish of the bike will be by my bday in September if at all possible.
Now on to pics.....

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr
See one of the things I now love about this frame/bike is that it is not a true "black" frame like advertised. It is more of a Black Cherry, which brings me to her name, Blackheart as in Joan Jett and the Blackhearts!

I didn't get to take many pics as I was rushing to get out of the house for softball but will take more pics tomorrow to get a better idea of the quality of the build. This thing is an ABSOLUTE STEAL for the price.

Here is the planned build over the next few months. Since I live in No. NV near Lake Tahoe this will be a 2x10 setup though my riding buddy is trying to convince me that I could pull off a 1x10 setup (and no 1x11 as it is currently to rich for my blood). Again this is a budget build with hopes to keep it at or below the $2k mark with deals from ebay and what not.
Fork - Depends but will be Manitou (yes I'm a fanboy and they have earned my loyalty). Currently debating on keeping my Tower Pro 100m 9QR for the Inbred or selling it, or Manitou offers a trade-in program where I can get a new Marvel/Minute for fairly cheap.
Wheels - Pure 29er Gold rims (still looking for confirmation on size bu believe they are 24x19x21.5 EWxIWxH) laced with BHS convertible mtb hubs, Sapim DoubleButted spokes (having my brothers buddy that is a wheel builder do them)
Headset - debating right now, Zero Stack or something with an actual head. Was going to go with a RealWorldCycling headset but they do not offer a ZeroStack and I am a fan of enduro bearings. Preferably something that is not over $60ish.
Crankset - Not sure but something that is either 39/26 or 38/24. See what I can find for cheap on ebay, of course will be threaded BB30 for the frame.
Rear D - Sram X9 10spd
Front D - Sram X7 10spd compatible
Shifters- Sram X9 2x10spd
Cassette - Sram 11-36, probably PG-1050 unless I can find a deal on the PG-1070
Brakes - Debating but thinking Shimano SLX w/ IceTech or some of the new Hayes brakes. Depends on price and possible Shimano hook-up
Seatpost - Standard for now but buddy is trying to convince me I need a dropper so looking at the KS e-Ten remote
Handlebars - Something Gold! Looking at ODI or RaceFace bars. I currently run 690mm flats so it will be a bit of an adjustment for something wider that has rise.
Tires - GEAX!! Again, another company that has earned my loyalty. Currently running 2.3" Gato (f) and 2.2" Sag (r) but thinking I may end up running the new GOMA front and rear in the 2.25".

Got some new toys over the last week...
Ended up picking up a set of Halo Disc 29er rims on my wheelbuilders recommendation. At $39/ea for the rim and 26mm wide (external) I don't think I could really go wrong. Didn't want something quite as wide as the Flows and wanted something with a standard UST beadhook.
Also picked up a Shimano SLX 2x10 crankset (26/38T), SLX Brakeset (sans rotors) and XT 11/36T cassette for $270 from Ribble with free shipping. Then today I got my Answer ProTAPER 780mm DH bars (gold and black) that were on sale at Pricepoint for $32.

Been doing a horrible job of updating here. Bike is just about done, going to assemble most of it soon here and just waiting on my wheelbuilder to get all parts to finish my wheels. But here is what she looks like so far.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405310315.326279.jpg

Ok gotten two rides on her and it rained all Sunday and Monday. Trails are nice and packed down so I ripped them on Saturday and then again today.

All I can say is holy fxxx is this thing fast!! A hell of a lot faster than me. Even with the 26/38 gearing it still climbs like a billy goat and descends like a banshee. Steering is much more responsive than my Inbred Hardtail and the bike just wants to run and run FAST!!!!

Can't get over how fun this bike is so far and only two things I will change are the grips and the tires from my Schwalbe Rocket Ron's back to my GEAX setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom