how to measure forces exerted by press on the work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No machine shop in the Fresno area is savvy enough to know how to, let alone has the gear to do it. the best thing I can come up with is to buy a load cell and display, calibrate it myself, then take the meter(load cell) and the work to a shop with a press...I am hoping one of you guys has an idea about this or better yet, has the gear and brains to use it and I could send the work pieces and assembly instructions to you? the point of exercise is to determine the forces required to press fit a proprietary ABS bulkhead to a terminal depth onto a length of proprietary ABS pipe. we're looking to mechanize our production process to keep up with rising demand, and don't want to guess when it comes to purchasing a 6"+ bore pneumatic ram... what says MUD? thnx

don't tell me I stumped yawl...

find a hydraulic press with a pressure gauge, then multiply the pressure reading by the piston surface area to get the force.

If not that, go to your local college or university ME department and see if they have an Instron you can use or hire.

local college- GREAT IDEA. I do know the maths to get rough force vs hyd. pres. and bore size of ram- For pneumatics, force is bore size area dependant, while pulling power is relative to the surface area of the piston...I only talked to 2 shops who have hyd pres gauges equipt presses/ out of about 12,13 shops...Thanks for the insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom