HJ47: horrible chassis double plating setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys I've pulled the cab of my HJ47 tray to start cleaning up the chassis. There's a horrible looking double plating setup next to the pipe chassis brace behind the gerarbox (see the photo). Can anyone tell me if it's original and what it's for? I thought it might have been a botched repair but it looks original. Both sides are the same. They appear to be pressed, not bashed into shape with a hammer. I've been asking around the various forums but no one that's seen it before has come back to me. Tony
Chassis plate.jpg

I am no expert at all on HJ47, but that certainly does not look like an original design in a frame.

It doesn't look horrible to me someone went to a lot of trouble with the outer frame rail support. :)

Hi mate that is factory plating all the hj47s I have seen have it

mine has a similar plate, and its an FJ45. will admit, I questioned its authenticity too. but I know chappo has seen more than his fair share of 45's and 7's so I would go with him on that

So why, is it a weak spot and this is a factory fix, a mistake on drill hole points and its so plated to cover up? I mean this is a pretty big effort of plating? and not the neatess of jobs?

Is there a cross member here on a 43 series that is removed or moved back, hence the plating? wonder if measured if a FJ40 series has a cross member here. The FJ40 series is actually wider at this point than a HJ47 series that's why you have to use a packing plates if you install a HJ cross member for a transmission?

Last edited:
So why, is it a weak spot and this is a factory fix, a mistake on drill hole points and its so plated to cover up? I mean this is a pretty big effort of plating? and not the neatess of jobs?

Is there a cross member here on a 43 series that is removed or moved back, hence the plating? wonder if measured if a FJ40 series has a cross member here. The FJ40 series is actually wider at this point than a HJ47 series that's why you have to use a packing plates if you install a HJ cross member for a transmission?

personally, I would like to think that its due to the cross members being at different points as compared to the 40 and 43. makes sense that it would be this and not due to covering up a mistake such as botched drill points or something. well I hope so anyways :confused:

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm heartened by chappohj47, he's the only person that has come forward as seeing this before.
The chassis is clearly stamped as a HJ47.
There are no bolt holes or fastening points on the plates so I don't think it was to rectify any drill points.
The fact that both sides are identical leads me to think its original but it seems to crude to be factory.
Why would they put the "normal" plate on and then put another over it?
I'd be happy to think it was an identified post production weakness and fix but if it was I would have though more HJ freaks would know about it.
Keep the responses coming please.
Tony

My HJ47 has them too. I think they are more of a bash guard/armor plate than reinforcement of the chassis. Looking at my mine they are placed at what looks like the lowest hanging part of the chassis.

I had a good look at mine; it seems the inner chassis channel is made in 2 sections (front and back) with a vertical lap joint. They've put a smaller plate with a hole in it over the joint, I guess to reinforce it, and then they've put this plate over the top of the lot.
I also received this reply from a guy on another forum:
Hey guys I know bit late but mine does have it , it's a body strengthener coz it's a tray so I have been told

If you have a feel inside the inner rail where its plated you can feel its a two piece inner chassis rail and it must have been welded by the factory apprentice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom