13b-t rebuild, defiantly a learning curve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i finally decided to pull my finger out and rebuild the donk in my bj74. i have no previous experience pulling an engine apart so it is a little bit of a learning curve, but a challenge im willing to take on!
so please be kind if i miss something simple or use the wrong terminology for things:D

upload_2014-7-21_20-57-51.png

first question: how do you remove the oil nozzle at the bottom of the cylinder?

upload_2014-7-21_20-58-24.png

upload_2014-7-21_20-59-3.png

thanks in advance! :beer::beer:

This will be interesting, look forward to it, have you got yourself a b series manual to assist you?
Out of curiosity, what was the main motivator to take on a rebuild, was it shot, or more of a "why not" challenge, are you using a terrain tamer re build kit?
And sorry I can not offer any advice on the oil nozzle, got me stumped already,!!

You might want to watch Roothy and his mechanic inspecting a 13BT disassembled on the bench.

Looks like they're pressed in against an O-ring.

So it appears you extract them by their centre-thread using a collar that rests on the machined surface surrounding them.

Here's some pics of the SST being used for removal and of someone tapping them back in:
UsingSST.jpg

ReinsertingNozzles.jpg

So you could make the SST easy enough with a lathe.

:beer:

Appropriate metric bolt, socket to clear outside of "hex" and a good selection of flat washers! Worked for me!

Sorry should have been more specific, bolt thread should extend out beyond the washers and use a nut to do the pulling.

This will be interesting, look forward to it, have you got yourself a b series manual to assist you?
Out of curiosity, what was the main motivator to take on a rebuild, was it shot, or more of a "why not" challenge, are you using a terrain tamer re build kit?
And sorry I can not offer any advice on the oil nozzle, got me stumped already,!!

yes i have one of the b-series engine manuals it didn't include much detail on the nozzles.
reason for the re-build is a bit of both i guess, was not running the best getting a lot of blow-by bad enough that oil was leaking out of the boost compensator diaphragm. its also an import so engine history is unknown. one of my mates just bought a bj73 with a 12ht conversion from QLD so that kind of inspired me to get mine up to scratch to.

According to the manual you need a special tool, partnumber: 09219-56010
A small crappy picture can be seen on page 8 here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/SST/2006/2006_2. SST list.pdf

thanks what issue manual do you have?

Looks like they're pressed in against an O-ring.

So it appears you extract them by their centre-thread using a collar that rests on the machined surface surrounding them.

Here's some pics of the SST being used for removal and of someone tapping them back in:
View attachment 920214

View attachment 920215

So you could make the SST easy enough with a lathe.

:beer:

thanks those pics explains a lot might try a socket head like cancrushers did, if not i will turn something up.

what manual is this from?

Sorry should have been more specific, bolt thread should extend out beyond the washers and use a nut to do the pulling.

thanks i thought the m8 bolt hole would have to play some sort of role.

Just about to start the same build.

when do you start? i could help you out with a few things that i would attack slightly differently.

I seen that bj73 with 12ht advertised in Gladstone, looked like ripper and a bargain too, I wouldve been all over that if I already didn't have Oldtoy. Below is some snaps & codes of manuals of chassis and b series which would assist your rebulld.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have already pulled the engine out, head is off and pistons out, (to identify the problem of broken rings) waiting to get some cash to do much more. Timing gear and Gudgeon pins need to be heated to 60 deg C according to the manual to disassemble, I will be getting it resleeved as the sleeve in No3 is stuffed. Will be a few weeks before I do to much more. I have the manual from the download link from this forum.

cheers guys thanks,

ok a little update.

finally got the time to get the nozzles out thanks again for the help made it a lot easier!

probably going to go with a rebuild kit from engines Australia, they are local to where i work and they were pretty helpful when i enquired about 12months ago. sent the pump off to mtq engine systems in dandenong, they are going to reco the injectors, rebuild the feed pump ( prime pump? cant remeber the name of it) and bench test the injection pump. they suggested that the pump will more than likely test ok fingers crossed.
oil nozzles.JPG

last few days spent cleaning vacuum, oil and fuel lines, also the timing case and air intake manifolds and thermostat housings.
the bolts in the thermostat housing were pretty corroded and one of the heads snapped off while tying to undo it :censor: but luckily it came out relatively easily.
clean fuel lines.jpg

clean manifolds.JPG

then tonight had a chance to pull the valves out of the head.
dirty valves.JPG

notice number three ex seems to be pretty oily!
number three valve.JPG

clean valves.JPG

one close up of an exhaust valve
valve clean.JPG

have not measured anything up yet as it was starting to get pretty late.

Thanks for the progress post, I am up to getting the last timing gear off the crank, which is being difficult, hopefully have the block in next week to get the sleeves done and start putting it all back together.

Isnt the 13bt a modified 3b? if so, what is the difference? BTW, I was impressed how shiny one of the cylinders looked :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom