Frame/fork question (stumpjumper fsr 29 comp) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. I weighed it this morning. 29.6lbs ready to ride. On the same scale the salsa Spearfish size med is 31.5.

Looks good. Run the hoses to the inside of the frame and fork.

I do need to re-route the brakes. The bracket on the revelation fork is odd - it's angled as though it's supposed to route outside the stanchion. It's different from the reba on my other bike.

I also found that an X7 crank isn't compatible with the stumpjumper frame. The left side crank arm interferes with the pivot point on the chain stay. Probably 1mm of contact. I'm going to use a grinder to make some clearance. I've never had that issue before.

Greg - I think you'll love the Thumper. If I were starting this bike over, I would go with a Thumper or a horsethief. Probably the horsethief for me simply because universal cycles has a great sale on the frames and it's close so I can pick up in store. My wife's medium spearfish is within 5mm saddle to bar of the large stumpjumper - so the spearfish's run a bit large or the specialized is on the small side. Back to back the spearfish feels quicker and does a better job of small bump compliance. The tower pro is better than the revelation in that regard. Otherwise they aren't all that different to ride except for the longer travel of the stumpjumper.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I have a Tower Pro on my Inbred (steel hardtail) and love the fork however I have read that once you hit the 140mm mark with the fork it becomes somewhat noodly. For the Revelation, I got a deal on it ($225 shipped after owner had replaced seals) that I could not pass up otherwise I had planned on going with a X-Fusion Trace (34mm stanchion) I will ride the Revelation for the time being in hopes the Manitou releases a 29er version of the Mattoc and then go with that. Hoping that the new McLeod shock comes to market quickly as I despise all things FOX (Thumper has a Float CTD with Kashima) and will replace with that. Hoping to have the bike done in the next couple weeks here and out for a shakedown ride. So stoked to have full squish!!!!

I'm overall happy so far with the revelation. I've only put 13 miles on it, so if nothing else I haven't even got the adjustments set beyond "kinda in the middle" yet. It's plenty stiff for general trail use. Even at 140mm it's noticeably stiffer than my 105mm Reba SL dual air 29er that's about 6yrs old. I'm about 190lbs + gear. I think it would be hard to match the small bump compliance of a coil spring/ air combo like the Tower uses. I made the same choice to go with the revelation over the tower pro due to the reviews saying the tower pro was too flexy in longer travel. A Pike would have probably been my first choice, but they cost more than my entire bike build.

I set up on the low end of the recommended pressure for my weight and didn't bottom out once, but I was really close on a couple spots and probably got to 95% of the travel.

One of the biggest things I found riding a full suspension bike is that I always think the rear is going flat. I constantly kept glancing down to double check that I hadn't flatted.

LOL... yeah I am hoping that I will have everything (and time) to build the bike this weekend. I am about the same weight you are and looking forward to riding the bike in some of our more AM/Trail trails out here.. Buddy and I hit up Corral Upper and Lower Monday before last and that tested the limits of my 100mm ht more than a few times but was still a blast to ride (except for the grueling climb to Upper).

I am thinking that if I like the Rev then I may invest in the newer RCT3 MoCo DNA setup and try and tweak the oil levels on both sides to see if they change anything. From what I have been reading the Rev is a great fork but can be a bit spiky in the mid travel. If worse comes to worse I will just grin an bare it for a while and hope/pray that Manitou releases a 29er version of the Mattoc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom