BJ40 Restoration started. And a question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.inditravel.org
Today is the first day of my restoration of a 1976 BJ40. The starting point is not to bad. Frame is OK, body a bit rusty. The car has been restored to some extend before, so difficult to say before paint is stripped off.

The hard top looks quite good except for what I believe is not an OEM solution. The header bar above the back doors is welded to the side panels, with an overlap over the panels. See photos. I guess this is only supposed to be bolted? And shall there be an overlap, or a straight joint between the bar and the panels?
I would like to split them, and is wondering where to cut.
SNC10361.jpg
SNC10365.jpg
SNC10363.jpg
SNC10364.jpg

Wow! A 1976..

Very few diesels that early on ih8mud!

How's your B-engine behaving?

Is this any help in answering your questions:
Detail.jpg

:beer:
Detail.jpg

Thank you, that helped. It looks like the header bar is extended over the side panel, and fixed with a bolt. I guess trough roof and side panel.

I am very impressed over how the B-engine performs. The car has not been used much since I bought it, but every time I start it, it starts on the first attempt. Actually on the first rev. Even if it has been standing for months. And it runs smooth with no hiccups.

Nice BJ. I have a 1975 BJ40 :) Are you going to install power steering? Mine is waiting to be installed (HJ60 parts).

Power steering is much wanted, but I have to see if money and time allows. But I have got hold of some 82 axles with discs in front which I will use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom