GX470 ---> GX460 Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Late last year I decided to sell my 2004 GX and "upgrade" to a 2023 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Well, I changed my mind around December 11th, when the dealer called to tell me the Tacoma had arrived. I had pre-purchase regrets about no V8, all that room, moonroof, etc. It's funny what getting old does to one's comfort level...

I'm on the hunt for a GX460 now. I have A complete Ironman 2" lift that I bought for the 470 and never installed it. I assume that I can use these parts on the 460 but what is needed for the KDSS? Ironman extended panhard rod? KDSS spacers? I have zero experience with KDSS other than working on stock vehicles during my technician days.

At the most, I'll run 265/70's or 275's on a 17" TRD (or knockoff wheel).

What do I need on my shopping list for the 470 springs and shocks to work on a (non-airbag) 460?

I don’t have a 460, but I have a 470 with KDSS. So I’ve got some experience lifting a truck with it.

You’re in a good spot because you can use all the Dr KDSS gear.

What exactly you’ll need depends a lot on the lift and how much it messes up stock geometry.

At a minimum you’ll likely want the KDSS clamp collars for the front sway bar and the mounting plates for the front LCAs.

For the rear, I think you’ve got multiple options. Maybe it takes a combo of some to get your KDSS happy. You’ve got the KDSS panhard bar. You also have read KDSS spacers and the rear bolt on correction kit from Dr KDSS. I believe they all try to accomplish the same thing: getting the sway bar back to sitting level with the KDSS piston.

It’s more work than not having KDSS, but I think it’s worth it. I love my 470 drives with the combo of lift and KDSS.

GX470 are about 400 lbs lighter in stock form from GX460. Depending on your spring selection, it might be too light.

Front lower bushing on GX460 are a bit wider. You can add a thin washer or just squeeze the mount.

Rear is better with panhard relocation if you go more than 1.5". Using KDSS spacer are not needed for stock length rear shock. The 2" spacer are still too short for most longer travel shocks.

Absolutely agree about maturing into more comfortable off roading and creature comforts. Love my heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc.
Question: You were on the cusp of a new Taco, but decided upon a used 460, why not just wait a few more months and get a new GX550? I don't think it would be too much more than the new Taco.

Sorry, when I meant NEW Tacoma I was waiting for a remaining 2023 TRD Off-Road to be built and shipped. That Tacoma stickered at $44,000. At the time, GX550 Overtrails are $69,000 +. Our current GX isn't a daily driver. It was difficult enough wrapping my head around paying that much for the Tacoma, let alone one with fewer amenities than the 470.

The Ironman lift I have is 2". At some point I'll upgrade the LCA's. But for now, it looks like I will need an adjustable panhard rod (or re-location mounting?) and possibly the KDSS spacers. Is that reasonable?

I am lifted about 1.75" and did not do anything else. I don't have any problems.

Reactions: r2m
Bilstein 5100s for the front and spacers for the rear. I do light wheeling 2-3 times a week. No issues, it's an absolute beast.

I am waiting to be springs for when I do bumpers and have mainly been doing things one at a time as I find a need. This won't happen until I have a different daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom