Slow idle help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. I had my carburetor pretty dialed in, took a bit but was happy with it. After a few short drives around town I was ready to go for a longer ride, so went up the coast for about 45 minutes, stopped checked the waves, truck idled nice, shut it down, time too go, started right up, hooray. Get back to town and at the first stop light it dies, won’t idle, starts right up but have to keep the revs up to get the rest of the way home. Fuel in site glass, new fuel filter. Is there a fix that doesn’t involve taking the carb apart?

Do you know what the idle is set at right now?

Once we have an idea where your idle is set and what kind of carb you have there will be several folks smarter than me that will likely make some suggestions

Make sure that the fuel cutoff solenoid is getting a constant 12v when key is on. You should hear an audible click at the carburetor when the key is switched to the on position. Ours became unplugged one time and the symptoms were similar to those that you describe.
Thanks, I’ll check

Thanks, I’ll check
Well, that helped. No power to cut off solenoid, bummer is not sure what fixed it. But it works now.
This is a ‘73 40 with a ‘87 engine. The “new” engine has venting on the distributor vacuum on one port and atmosphere on the other, plugged it and runs much better. Am I missing a part? Does it nee to be vented?

Update on issue. It’s amazing how much can be not right and these trucks still run, tractors right? So, after getting power to the cutoff solenoid and realizing the distributor doesn’t need vacuum from the manifold, just from the air cleaner, and finding a huge leak in the PCV line, it idles smooth right around 650 rpm
Hooray!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom