To Lipstick And Beyond (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So to check my understanding before I pull the cover, The cavity behind the cover is an oil space due to lifters and pushrods. The suspect freeze plugs (I hope) photographed are between that oil space and the water jacket behind the plugs, correct?

So to check my understanding before I pull the cover, The cavity behind the cover is an oil space due to lifters and pushrods. The suspect freeze plugs (I hope) photographed are between that oil space and the water jacket behind the plugs, correct?
It's an air space that oil drips through to get back to the oilpan. So usually not filled with oil, unless your oilpan is full of water.

Did you drain the pan?? Pull the inspection cover, do a visual to see if all freeze plugs are in place!! Thenrun water through to see if any are leaking 🤔🧐😉
Pan is drained. Pulling side cover is next. Schedule doesn't allow that to happen until later today or tomorrow. Thanks.

How much water came out?
When I bypassed the oil cooler, a lot of water came out through those two hoses when I disconnected them to bypass. The cooler is pretty low. I initially thought that was the problem as I got to two gallons into the rad before it came out the pan drain plug. I was just refilling the block probably. After two gallons or so, any water into the rad directly came out the pan. In other words, I think the failure is rather high as a lot of water had to go into the jacket before rising to the level of the unknown failure?

Whether or not a freeze plug behind the inspection cover is that height or not remains to be seen.

Water pouring into the pan would indicate freeze plug to me, a crack would just seep
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Once the water came out, the discharge rate was that of hot oil during an oil change. Among all else going on, I have a major dental appointment midday. Not sure I'll get to the cover today.

Removed side inspection cover and freeze plugs looked intact. Added water to radiator and water started flowing down out of pushrod holes from above. Removed valve cover to observe the first three (in row from front to back) freeze plugs lying along side their holes as pictured below. Plugs, gasket, and FIPG on order from Mr. T.

IMG_5609.JPG

Removed side inspection cover and freeze plugs looked intact. Added water to radiator and water started flowing down out of pushrod holes from above. Removed valve cover to observe the first three (in row from front to back) freeze plugs lying along side their holes as pictured below. Plugs, gasket, and FIPG on order from Mr. T.

View attachment 3604546
Does anyone have experience/an idea how I might reinstall the plugs with rocker shaft in place? The shaft is directly above the plug holes but high enough to make the angle slight. My guess is it depends on the required method to install the plugs. Does one drive the plugs from the edge working around, by driving the center, or by precision driving while matching the outside edge with something?

The freeze plugs did what they were supposed to do. That's great. The best possible outcome. When I did them on my dodge, I used a socket that fit on the inside of the lip and tapped them in with sealant on the outside of the lip. Take your time and try to tap them in evenly. That was 100,000 miles ago and they still haven't leaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom