GROM VLine Owners (Please post only if you've owned this device) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can any GROM owners confirm that you can connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT on the GROM to the HDMI IN in the second row and mirror your GROM on the rear screens?

I'm having trouble doing this. GROM thinks it might be that our rear screens are 480i and their unit only outputs 480p....but that doesn't sound exactly right to me.

I'm wondering if I have a bad unit....or bad connection. I've tried multiple cables. And a Amazon firestick and iPad all work in the rear HDMI IN for my rear screens.

Can any GROM owners confirm that you can connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT on the GROM to the HDMI IN in the second row and mirror your GROM on the rear screens?

I'm having trouble doing this. GROM thinks it might be that our rear screens are 480i and their unit only outputs 480p....but that doesn't sound exactly right to me.

I'm wondering if I have a bad unit....or bad connection. I've tried multiple cables. And a Amazon firestick and iPad all work in the rear HDMI IN for my rear screens.
Have you tried hooking the hdmi from the GROM to a screen that does accept 480p? I agree in your skepticism that it's an issue with the RES.

Have you tried hooking the hdmi from the GROM to a screen that does accept 480p? I agree in your skepticism that it's an issue with the RES.
THe manual says 480p is supported.

NFORMATION
●HDMI compatible format
• Compatible video signal: 480p, 576p,VGA
• Compatible sound signal: LPCM 2ch

Also, i thought i read somewhere a while ago that the GROM HDMI out was a feature that wouldn't be supported until they got off of Android 8. I could easily be mis-remembering that.

Edit: Just watched the video on GROM's website. Maybe you have it backwards. In the video they say the HDMI output only supports 480i on the GROM. So possibly the problem is that it's outputting 480i and the Lexus wants to see 480p.

Last edited:
Anyone get a chance to test the hdmi out? Would love to know definitively if it works with LC200

Also in case anyone wondering I compared GPS antenna mounted outside of the center mesh grille vs outside.

Second pic shows improved signal. Decided to leave mine outside

B634BCBF-D0D2-4450-A8F1-68795D21CE36.jpeg

16F1FE93-37CE-4F0D-A0F4-4581DDB5D353.jpeg

06F48C31-C784-4006-B6BC-8AEE0730FE48.jpeg

At least add which VL2 you are using and what vehicle it is plugged into. This is the problem with all these threads. The complaints are typically as much user error as anything else, and useless without enough info to actually apply to anyone else's use case.

1. I can say that my wireless Carplay with my iPhone works perfectly 90% of the time. I get in the car and within 20 seconds of startup Carplay is running on my OEM system with no intervention by me. There are settings on the phone and Grom that must be configured properly.
2. Have you adjusted the audio interface on your OEM system? On the LEX6 in a 2010-11 LX570, you have to adjust the audio settings for the USB interface. This improves sound quality greatly. For most VLine units there really isn't much reason to have poor audio unless something is broken or misconfigured. In the scenario listed here it's a digital connection between the VLINE2 and the OEM stereo.
3. Is this in Carplay/AA mode, or the built in app. Either way, it's most likely not the VLINE2's fault. It's most likely an app issue. I use Amazon music with no issues through Carplay.
4. I've only had to unplug mine one time in over a year that i've had mine.
5. I don't use the USB port, so can't speak to this.
6. For my unit there is a firmware that works better than others to mitigate this. (I would still consider this a VLINE2 issue, in case it sounds like i'm being a complete apologist)
7. I can't really remember having this issue, but considering the hardware and OS of a Vline2, it's entirely possible.
8. this sounds like the same complaint as above
9. Massive numbers of variables here again. Now you are adding different Vlines, different phones, and different Wifi connections into the equation. I can say, i've never had issue flipping my Iphone hotspot from Carplay to the native Android OS wifi connection when i want Android to have access to wifi. Possibly there is some confustion on your part about what the device is capable of. If you are connected to wireless carplay/AA, you can not simultaneiously have the GROM Vline2 on wifi (for internet access for native apps)
10. I don't use AA so can't speak to it's function.
11. I have found my iPhone to typically be the problem in these scenarios. When I get disconnected, I have found that if I start killing background apps on my phone, it will usually reconnect once enough are shut down. Insome cases, the phone just won't connect, and in other cases the phone will disconnect after 3-4 hours of playing fine. In either case, stopping apps on my phone resolves the issue.

I'm not trying to pick on you here or anything, just pointing out that at least some versions of the hardware running in some versions of 200 series work pretty well. Also, it's a fairly technical piece of kit, so some care has to be taken into setting it up properly to get the functionality you want out of it.

My biggest gripe is trying to get my phone to only connect to the OEM bluetooth for calling. I suspect this is more a Carplay/iPhone issue, but Carplay always wants control of the call. Even after I force the call over to the OEM connection, sometimes CarPlay will grab it back and move it over the Vline2. The Vline2 mic interface is far inferior to the OEM bluetooth calling, so this is frustrating when it happens.
Might be a dumb question but, regarding the bluetooth calling, could you just disconnect the GROM mic to force it to the OEM connection?

Might be a dumb question but, regarding the bluetooth calling, could you just disconnect the GROM mic to force it to the OEM connection?
Maybe something to try. I’m not sure if the software would know the mic was unplugged.

Maybe something to try. I’m not sure if the software would know the mic was unplugged.
Can confirm the software does not know if the mic was unplugged. My initial install was just the vline unit. I left the GPS antenna and the mic off because I didn't want to wire it. And the vline still acted like the mic was there.

Does anyone else with the VLine2 deal with it sometimes switching back to the Land Cruiser Home Screen (often happens twice, where it will suddenly flick back to the LC Home Screen for a second, then back to VLine, then back to Home Screen, then back to VLine)? Audio usually stays connected through this.

This happens almost every trip. GROM has been able to help or has resolved a lot of other bugs that have bagged the system but can’t figure this one out.

2013 Land Cruiser

Does anyone else with the VLine2 deal with it sometimes switching back to the Land Cruiser Home Screen (often happens twice, where it will suddenly flick back to the LC Home Screen for a second, then back to VLine, then back to Home Screen, then back to VLine)? Audio usually stays connected through this.

This happens almost every trip. GROM has been able to help or has resolved a lot of other bugs that have bagged the system but can’t figure this one out.

2013 Land Cruiser
I don't recall seeing this on mine. Only time it goes back to the Lexus home screen is when the screen changes, like the reverse camera or when the parking sensors light up (I disabled this on the main screen for this reason).

2009 LX570

So just an update on the Grom Vline for the LC200

If your GROM is working well do not update yet.

I have an advanced copy of the firmware 56
(the one before this one was a little unstable)

touchscreen is much more responsive

Random disconnects look to be completely gone now. Haven't had one in a while. I think they added different Hz bands for the wifi connection to your iphone.

And thus the internet signal to the GROM unit is more stable as well so streaming apps like Netflix are more stable too.

Swipe to scroll works in Carplay now

There is a connection to OEM A/C now....if you change the temperature a small window pops up to show the Number in the GROM interface....not really that helpful for LC200 since we have the digital readout already. I've requested that they try to get the climate button to flip to the OEM climate control screen. Right now when displaying GROM the button does nothing

Boot up speed is really quick. I think they have a new standby mode. Will have to find out details to see if there is a big draw on power. Launching and auto connecting to Apple CarPlay very quick.

They plan to update to Android 12 soon

Still working with them to see if there is an easier way to get the GROM display to mirror on the rear screens. Right now the HDMI out (GROM) to HDMI In (rear seats) doesn't work for me.

If you scroll through the GROM YouTube page, I think there is a video to force Bluetooth calls to the OEM system. I believe is was for android auto though.

For the mic if you plug in the 3.5mm headphone plug provided in the GROM harness into the GROM unit, phone calls use the OEM mic (so no separate install necessary). And your calls are displayed on the GROM Apple Carplay display

I installed the Grom VLine in my 2011 LX570 yesterday. As someone said, when it works it's great but I have about every gremlin everyone else has had and it's a bummer.

No issues with 'connecting' to Carplay which is my primary focus but no sound without messing around with it every time I start the car. I deleted all of the LX BT connections, etc. Multiple resets / restarts, etc. Same issue.

Working through Grom email customer support on this but frustrating not solving these issues in real time. In addition, screen glitches every few seconds (sometimes) and when I do get Carplay with sound working, the screen goes black for a milisecond every so often, all the time. The latter is the least of my concerns right now.

I made this Carplay retrofit fit mistake on 2 Range Rovers in the past and like a dog to vomit, here I am again.

So just an update on the Grom Vline for the LC200

If your GROM is working well do not update yet.

I have an advanced copy of the firmware 56
(the one before this one was a little unstable)

touchscreen is much more responsive

Random disconnects look to be completely gone now. Haven't had one in a while. I think they added different Hz bands for the wifi connection to your iphone.

And thus the internet signal to the GROM unit is more stable as well so streaming apps like Netflix are more stable too.

Swipe to scroll works in Carplay now

There is a connection to OEM A/C now....if you change the temperature a small window pops up to show the Number in the GROM interface....not really that helpful for LC200 since we have the digital readout already. I've requested that they try to get the climate button to flip to the OEM climate control screen. Right now when displaying GROM the button does nothing

Boot up speed is really quick. I think they have a new standby mode. Will have to find out details to see if there is a big draw on power. Launching and auto connecting to Apple CarPlay very quick.

They plan to update to Android 12 soon

Still working with them to see if there is an easier way to get the GROM display to mirror on the rear screens. Right now the HDMI out (GROM) to HDMI In (rear seats) doesn't work for me.

If you scroll through the GROM YouTube page, I think there is a video to force Bluetooth calls to the OEM system. I believe is was for android auto though.

For the mic if you plug in the 3.5mm headphone plug provided in the GROM harness into the GROM unit, phone calls use the OEM mic (so no separate install necessary). And your calls are displayed on the GROM Apple Carplay display
What year is yours? Does it actually have a capacitive screen that allows for swiping?

What year is yours? Does it actually have a capacitive screen that allows for swiping?
2011 but wipe is the least of my issues right now.

2011 but wipe is the least of my issues right now.
Interesting - I have a 2010 LX, didn't think there were any changes between those years and I don't get any sense of capacitive, just a resistive screen.

For your sound issue have you checked iOS profiles and then the GROM system sound settings (main GROM screen-> menu in upper left), as well as Android System Settings? Otherwise sounds like it isn't connecting the media profile for BT, but not sure how to tweak that on iOS.

So a few things.

I have a 2017 LC so things may not all be relevant

Who is emailing you at GROM. I have had great success with Heath

I’ve had similar issues as you. Especially when they do a new upgrade that is probably optimized for a more popular Toyota car and doesn’t play nice with LC or LX. Usually Heath will send me a backdated firmware and I will put it on a usb and backdate. After explaining all the issues they are usually ironed out by the next release.

The most recent one was due to their attempt at integrating HVAC with GROM. I’d notice that the GROM would cut out AND my OEM digital temp displays would black out too. This has been solved with an advanced copy of the next firmware. Not sure if it has been released publicly yet.

I’ve found that sometimes it’s my phone and its inability to stay connected to the GROM. I’ve done hard resets on my iPhone and that has helped too.

I mount my GROM under the passenger footwell and it’s exposed and it probably gets kicked around a little. If you are a tinkerer. This last time I was having display issues Heath suggested I open the GROM unit and reinsert the ribbon cable for the display. And that took care of an intermittent black out issue I was having.

So a few things.

I have a 2017 LC so things may not all be relevant

Who is emailing you at GROM. I have had great success with Heath

I’ve had similar issues as you. Especially when they do a new upgrade that is probably optimized for a more popular Toyota car and doesn’t play nice with LC or LX. Usually Heath will send me a backdated firmware and I will put it on a usb and backdate. After explaining all the issues they are usually ironed out by the next release.

The most recent one was due to their attempt at integrating HVAC with GROM. I’d notice that the GROM would cut out AND my OEM digital temp displays would black out too. This has been solved with an advanced copy of the next firmware. Not sure if it has been released publicly yet.

I’ve found that sometimes it’s my phone and its inability to stay connected to the GROM. I’ve done hard resets on my iPhone and that has helped too.

I mount my GROM under the passenger footwell and it’s exposed and it probably gets kicked around a little. If you are a tinkerer. This last time I was having display issues Heath suggested I open the GROM unit and reinsert the ribbon cable for the display. And that took care of an intermittent black out issue I was having.
No doubt on all of that - the biggest issue I've had is Grom not holding onto the 'screen' during phone calls with AA. While it's good they finally allowed using the OEM BT connection (better mics), invariably the GROM ends up reverting to the OEM phone screen and unfortunately with AA and the older LX, the LX only allows minimal interaction while driving, and there is no phone control on the phone when using AA.

wierd....seemless with carplay....
I do know they plan to upgrade the android OS soon. not sure if that will change things

wierd....seemless with carplay....
I do know they plan to upgrade the android OS soon. not sure if that will change things

An Android upgrade is severely needed. A little more RAM might not hurt either. Android 8.1 is very dated.

Any idea when potential upgrades might happen? I'm holding off until I hear that some upgrades/updates have been made that address some of the more frequently cited issues people are having.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 144033.png

An Android upgrade is severely needed. A little more RAM might not hurt either. Android 8.1 is very dated.

Any idea when potential upgrades might happen? I'm holding off until I hear that some upgrades/updates have been made that address some of the more frequently cited issues people are having.

View attachment 3570950
Not sure about updates but I would definitely think twice before ordering one. I'm not sending mine back but it operates very erratic. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the screen stays on carplay, sometimes it doesn't, Sometimes it says it loses BT connective and it does, sometimes it says it loses BT connectivity and it doesn't. My customer service has not been good and I'm getting responses every day or so, most not even meaningful.

They are planning for the android upgrade. But they’ve been saying that for a year or so.

Not sure if there is a year to year difference even within the 200 series.

From my knowledge for entertainment units for the 200 there is

Pre 2016
2016-2018
2018+

The later two are similar except for the screen type.

My 2017 is running steady and I don’t have many issues…anymore.

Not sure if the earlier years have more issues.

I will say some of the connectivity issues are on the iPhone side of things.

I have cleared all BT connection to the Toyota system and only do BT with the VLine.

I haven’t heard any word about a hardware upgrade so unit wise I think it will be the same.

But I agree unless you are a pretty capable DIYer. Like to fiddle with and upgrade the software. Be willing to check and recheck your connections and make sure all pins and connectors are tight. On direction by GROM I’ve even opened the unit to reconnect the ribbon cable as I was having some intermittent display issues. Be willing to be pretty much a beta tester and work with the GROM guys……you might get frustrated and may not like your unit.

I can only say mine fires up and connects seamlessly. And with the most recent upgrade it the most stable it’s been in the 2 years of ownership.

Heath at GROM is very responsive and has sent me software to either backdate the firmware or given me advanced copies of the firmware as we ironed out some of the issues.

I’m actually a little worried that when they do upgrade the android will that cause new issues with stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom