Everyone.......... Meet Sully (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, this closes the book on Sully for me and my son. Hopefully the new owner will post a continuation thread on the little 40. I had fun building this cruiser with my son, we both learned a lot and had fun wrenching, fabricating and cleaning dirty parts together. I look forward to our next project, whatever it will be :)

Sully out,
The End.........
Sully 028 (Medium).jpg
Sully 029 (Medium).jpg
Sully 032 (Medium).jpg

always a sad day. I watched my first cruiser turn the corner about 12yrs ago and still miss it.

So it's not going to be his first vehicle? We all had visions of him being the coolest kid at school.

What happened?

All that build up and then.... whoosh... its gone?

Why the sudden change of heart with Sully? It was coming along so nicely...

He didnt want to drive it, and the only time it did get driven was every Thursday for the street sweeper. We talked it over and since this is about what he wants and not what I want for him, we decided to put it up for sale. This morning he is taking the ASVAB test for the Marine Corps. If he chooses to go that route, the cruiser would be sitting for a long time. I am really proud of him and he is a great kid, he is definitely more squared away than I was at his age!!

At least he can say my first car was a"CRUISER!" God bless your son and your family. Thanks for your service.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread from the dead with an update.

We were contacted by the buyer informing us he was selling Sully. So without blinking an eye, the family committed to getting Sully back.

My son and I made the 7 hour (one way) trip this morning and loaded it on the trailer and headed home with it.

It needs a good going over, there are some issues that need to be addressed before we hit the trails. We will post more as we sort through the 40 and come up with a new plan.

IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

Made it home last night,1100 miles over 3 days, and the best part, I got to hang out and go on a road trip with my son to get Sully.

This morning I took it to the car wash to rinse off the dirt and salt residue from being so close the bay. Started my walk around and assess what needs to be replaced/repaired or removed. Going through the glove box is always interesting because of what you find. The wok light and box that was in the 40 when I bought was still in there.

A quick list of things:
Rebuild master and booster
Replace clutch master and slave
Replace leaking shocks
Drain/flush fuel tank (need to see if fuel pump works)
New battery
Change fluids and filters
Remove a huge shackle mount from the frame horn and bumper, need the space for a winch.
I’m sure there will be more but this would get it back on the road.

IMG_2032.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

And so it begins, I am robbing Peter to pay Paul. I removed the new clutch master and slave cylinders from my project (Morty) and installed it on Sully, we now have a clutch.

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2049.jpeg

I don’t know how to post a video, but Sully is a runner!!!
I drained the fuel tank, filled the float bowl and little in the carb, some fresh fuel in the tank and it fired right up.
Checked the action of the clutch, I need to adjust it a little. Overall great day, now to get it off the trailer, make sure the brakes are good and take it for a test drive, my first time drive it in 15 years!

Tim had replaced the original carb with a Trollhole carb, he managed to find the original carb but it looks like it had been in the cargo hold of the Titanic. I’m going to attempt to save it and hope for the best.

The butterflies were frozen but I was able to free them up and disassemble it without any problems. It has been soaking for well over a day.

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

IMG_2065.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2069.jpeg

IMG_2070.jpeg

Last edited:
This may sound crazy but I believe it will work. Pick up a large container of EvapoRust and soak the carb in it. It only attacks rust and won't disturb any of the other materials like aluminum, brass or anything else. Once the rust is removed simply rinse in water and a standard rebuild should be easy.

Got the factory carb rebuilt and removed the Trollhole carb. After mounting the factory carb on the intake I realized I am missing this return spring bracket and spring. The search is on!! Or I make my own.

IMG_2107.jpeg

Received the return spring bracket from cruiser cult (really nice quality piece) and cut a universal spring to fit, works great. Now to give it a tune up and adjust the carb.

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom