St Anthony Sand Dunes, ID - Oct 1st & 2nd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is going to be a blast! A few of us went down last weekend and checked out the sand dunes in St Anthony ID. What a fantastic experience. Check out the pictures. This will be a weekend event, but the dunes are close enough that you could day trip on Saturday or Sunday if you wanted. There is some good BLM camping near the dunes, or you can stay at the campground. A campsite was $27. Google maps puts the drive at about 3 hours.

A flag is required to drive on the dunes. We bought one at the campground for $12, attaching not included. We aired down to 15-16psi, and that was perfect. You will also want to be sure that you have recovery points for the front and rear of your vehicle. A receiver hitch will be fine for the rear, but a front bumper with mounts or factory points will be mandatory. If you have a snatch strap, bring it!

Having some off road driving experience would be good here, but the sand is so different, it seems everyone starts off on the same playing field. There will be times where you will need to give it some gas to get up a hill, or you get stuck. Ask me how I know! Momentum, good line selection, and avoiding side hilling are the main goals. We will be sticking to very conservative lines, but the risk factor is still there. I never felt like I was going to roll my truck, but it's easy to see how things could go wrong.

Bottom line: This is the most fun I've had in my truck so far. And I can't wait to go back!!

Hmmm...my last day in Yellowstone is oct1. Then I head down to SLC for the museum and then Moab. Maybe I can look no up with you guys on the 2nd... if I don't drung too much on the 1st ;)

Edit, wow. I just looked back at my post. It looks like I already "drung too much" when I wrote it ;)

Last edited:
Sand dunes are fun! Just remember for the rookies: if you're in trouble, gas it, don't slam on the brakes and before you go up a dune make sure you know what's on the other side. Stay in communication, and have fun! Wish I could go but can't get sand inside the cast with fresh meat after stitches were just removed

Tentative.

It looks like we're going to have a pretty good turn out for this trip. We've even got a couple of trucks coming out from Idaho to play!

Hmmm...my last day in Yellowstone is oct1. Then I head down to SLC for the museum and then Moab. Maybe I can look no up with you guys on the 2nd... if I don't drung too much on the 1st ;)

You should definitely come out!

Al right gang. Let's plan to meet at 8 am at Target on 19th in Bozeman on Saturday morning. Looks like we'll have several new folks along as well, two of which are from Idaho!

I would say we meet by 9 or 10 at the dunes. What are things looking like on your end?

still a little up in the air. If I can get out early enough Sunday that will be great. But it will be on my way out for a 6 month period. So lots of packing and details need to come together.

Hey guys! count me in for the dunes trip. I have caught the cruiser bug bad. I bought a 1988 FJ62 a few months ago and have been looking for a great trip to take it on. I look forward to joining the 406 Cruisers. My wife and I live in Missoula, so we wont make it to Bozeman for the drive down. We will take I-15 down from Butte, and hit up the Patagonia outlet in Dillon. Super pumped about that. So I guess we will meet the group somewhere down by the dunes.
A few questions/concerns, where is the group camping/ staying at? Do we need to make a reservation? My rig is also not a full build yet and does not have a winch or any type of recovery equipment. I also do not have an air compressor so lowering the tire pressure would require somebody else with a compressor to help out. With these limitations is there anybody going on the trip that doesn't mind pulling me out and airing me up.
TC I believe it was you that I sent a message to on the 406 cruiser website. I can hardly wait!

Thanks,
Nick

Hey guys! count me in for the dunes trip. I have caught the cruiser bug bad. I bought a 1988 FJ62 a few months ago and have been looking for a great trip to take it on. I look forward to joining the 406 Cruisers. My wife and I live in Missoula, so we wont make it to Bozeman for the drive down. We will take I-15 down from Butte, and hit up the Patagonia outlet in Dillon. Super pumped about that. So I guess we will meet the group somewhere down by the dunes.
A few questions/concerns, where is the group camping/ staying at? Do we need to make a reservation? My rig is also not a full build yet and does not have a winch or any type of recovery equipment. I also do not have an air compressor so lowering the tire pressure would require somebody else with a compressor to help out. With these limitations is there anybody going on the trip that doesn't mind pulling me out and airing me up.
TC I believe it was you that I sent a message to on the 406 cruiser website. I can hardly wait!

Thanks,
Nick

Hey Nick

I'm jealous about the Patagonia outlet store! It seems like the perfect way to start an adventure. We are staying on blm land, so no reservations. It will be primitive camping however, so be prepared for that. The drive into St Anthony is not too far, but I would show up with all essentials. The flag should be obtainable at the dunes. We probably won't have a need for a winch, hopefully. But you do want to have recovery points front and rear. We may need to use the snatch strap from time to time. No worries on the compressor. We should have at least 2 in the group. We'll pull you out and air ya up!

still a little up in the air. If I can get out early enough Sunday that will be great. But it will be on my way out for a 6 month period. So lots of packing and details need to come together.

It sounds hectic, but I hope we'll see you one more time this season! We get service there, so post or email your plans.

I will.on a side not can I get a flag and what not in the area?

I will.on a side not can I get a flag and what not in the area?

There is a campground right at the dunes that sells them. $12. You can probably get them in St Anthony also.

To you guys meeting us out there, we are planning to meet at the Sand Hills RV Resort. Google should take you right there.

So I think I am shooting to be around St. Anthony's some time between 10-12 Sunday. I Know this is a little late bit I am heading to the cruiser museum in SLC anyway. So I will be going right past you guys. I might as well swing and and hang out for a bit. Will there be a easy way to find you guys?

I don't want to hijack this thread. But after the dunes I am heading to the TLC museum in SLC on Monday. Anyone that wants is welcome along. My basic plans are to head south after the dunes toward SLC. I might find camping, might even just dirt bag it at a rest stop or something. I have a sleeping platform so it is easy for me. Monday morning I have appointments in SLC for drug testing and some other things for a new job that should take a few hours but not long. Then hit the TLC museum hopefully around noon. Anyone is welcome to follow.

After museum am heading into San Rafael Swells and then Moab for a week or two. Again, tag along if you want.

So I think I am shooting to be around St. Anthony's some time between 10-12 Sunday. I Know this is a little late bit I am heading to the cruiser museum in SLC anyway. So I will be going right past you guys. I might as well swing and and hang out for a bit. Will there be a easy way to find you guys?
Plan to meet us at egin lake at 11??

Thanks,
Nick

Nick, did you get your transmission issue straightened out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom