Vvti vs non vvti (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 land cruiser
With 230k plus miles non vvti

If u had to choose and planned on keeping the car awhile
Is the extra power with the potential issues of more moving parts(vvti) worth it?

I would be doing most of the mainetance

I got the same year with 222K miles. I like the non-VVTi for the fact that getting the cam seals is super easy. With VVTi, you have to take it to a dealer or to an expert to pull the cam out of the engine to get the seal in place.

You will get all sorts of answers, but I think that the sweet spot is the non-VVTi enging with 5-speed transmission, ie 2003-05 100s.

Gotta say I'm not sure where the perceived vvti reliability issues are coming from. I've never heard a bad word against the Toyota system, I've searched here on mud and couldn't find any posts about people having vvti issues and I just googled Toyota vvti problems and got surprisingly few responses (the only ones where around oil consumption and didn't relate to land cruiser engines).

The internet is a scary place to ask for advice, best tip I can give is to do some research yourself and see. If people speak up one way or the other ask them what experience their opinions are based on.

Reactions: jLB
Gotta say I'm not sure where the perceived vvti reliability issues are coming from. I've never heard a bad word against the Toyota system, I've searched here on mud and couldn't find any posts about people having vvti issues and I just googled Toyota vvti problems and got surprisingly few responses (the only ones where around oil consumption and didn't relate to land cruiser engines).

The internet is a scary place to ask for advice, best tip I can give is to do some research yourself and see. If people speak up one way or the other ask them what experience their opinions are based on.
Nobody bad mouthing the vvti here, just discussing pros/cons. I personally went the non vvti route because of the added complexity. Since it's an interference engine, if the timing belt goes, there is a risk of valve train damage, though I have yet to see a case of this. The main reason for avoiding is the addition of all the emissions equipment that can be costly to fix, and the fact that in order to replace the cam seals (common 2uz fe leak point) you have to completely remove the cam. And honestly I didn't think the extra hp was worth it.

This forum is an excellent place for advice because your guaranteed to get varied opinions on your ideas/problems. Most of us over maintain our rigs and over think situations, that's why it's great to have others to advise you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom