Position of factory audio amplifier after dash rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What a project. But after completing the installation of the heater core and reassembling the entire dash (with only six or so screws left over ;)) The only thing I seem to be stumped on is the replacement of the factory audio amplifier. Before I get all the "since you're there why don't you's" I had to draw the line somewhere. If I kept replacing things while rebuilding the entire cooling system (which included two salvaged seats from a Land Rover and a pressure washed carpet) then I would have ended up with a new truck. I am still in the process of repainting the hood! So can anyone help with the placement of the amp? I am totally stumped. I have looked at the shop manual, but it is not the same as mine. I called Toyota and gave them my VIN and had them send me a copy of the placement for my truck and it is the same as the one in my manual. I have attached a photo of the one I have if anyone can help. I realize after uploading that it is not the best photo. The detail on the top (left) is not very clear. Let me know if another photo is necessary.
unspecified.jpg

IIRC the two angled tabs pointing up and forward have screws that run through the panel the tweeter in the similar location is mounted to. The front of the case (down on the floor board in your image) is parallel and very close to the ECU. It all slots in there very snugly. You may need to remove the ECU to get the amp into place, then install the ECU... not sure on that part though.

What I am pretty sure of is the wiring shouldn't be hanging out under the metal cross bar.. it goes up the front of the lower dash into the same area as the ECU

Parallel to the ECU meaning it is up there next to it too? I have two options, stick it up there next to the tweeter inbetween the ECU and the tweeter, or below both. And do the wires face the cab or the fender? If I can figure that out, then I can at least cut my options.

I haven't looked at mine in a couple of months and it's halfway across town right now or I'd go look, but I seem to remember yes, the amp is stuffed into the same area as the ecu. I think it is directly between the tweeter and ecu.

I don't remember which direction the wires point but away from the glove box makes sense..

Me too. The wires seem to be trained to go that way better too. I will give that a try. Thanks. That really cuts out a lot of options. I hope I never have to replace that heater core again. What a job that was. That is, if I put the d*m* thing in there right. I can't believe after all that, this is the thing that is stumping me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom