Looking at older 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I have since decided I may be interested in going with a 200 instead of my initial thoughts which were a 2004-2006 100. Few opinions would be greatly appreciated from you folks and I know that there is infinite knowledge on this board!
What sort of potential maintenance issues might I get into buying an 08 or 09 model with 125k on them already? Both I have recently looked at have been 2 owner vehicles but well maintained, at the dealer (not sure if that is always a plus) according to the Toyo service site.

My recent thoughts have been between this or a new 4Runner trail. The cruiser would be a bit less.

I'll leave on this note for now, please let me know your thoughts if you would
✌️

I bought an '08 with 90k on it. I hear that some of these older ones are prone to water pump failure once the miles get up to 125 or so. But I like the truck so no biggie.

I have a 2008 that now has 161k miles, I got it in October 2014 with 122k. Since then I have had to replace the radiator, water pump and starter. I also had all the fluids changed and new spark plugs.

I have a 2008 that now has 161k miles, I got it in October 2014 with 122k. Since then I have had to replace the radiator, water pump and starter. I also had all the fluids changed and new spark plugs.

these vehicles are selling in the $31-33K price range - I would imagine the above major components would be pretty a pretty hefty bill to replace?

The parts themselves are not expensive.
The labor to install them is, if done by a shop / dealer
I've had my water pump and radiator replaced. The 120,000 service should have included fluids, plugs, cleaning of the injectors and some filters.
Just like a pretty woman these babies cost some bucks for maintenance. The level of activity they can endure is priceless.

IMG_0332.JPG
I have both a 150 chassis truck and a 200. Both are great but the 150 is a slow slow truck. Keeps the wife from getting tickets, they also discontinued the supercharger.

Get the 200 for you, leave the wife with the 150. They "wife's" do not appreciate the finer things in life.

Here is a picture of mine.

08's and 09's also had/have the driveline "clunk". Not the normal stuff from an AWD vehicle, but an issue with the rear drive shaft. It's a known issue and the dealer should replace it.

My wife sees her car as a simple tool, nothing more. On the flip side I get to chose them for her, she could care less.

It looks like a model a couple of years newer, 2011 would be about $10k more or so. If I'm thinking about it correctly, these vehicles will have about 60k on them ballpark, which is a plus. But,,, on the other hand, if one with 120k has already had the plugs, water pump and fluids changed, the extra 60k isn't really that big of an advantage given the expected longevity of these vehicles....logical thinking?

depends on how much cash you will be comfortable throwing at this truck during your ownership. The $10K difference between the earlier model 08-09 and the 2011 is a nice chunk of change to buy "stuff" with. If $10K isn't a big worry then I'd go newer / less miles and mod the piss outta that thing. Just ball park the expenses you're looking at - the 120,00 service, water pump, starter and radiator all adds up to around (in my neck of the woods) to $3000.00 +/-. I hope that helps you

ok now I'm slimming my decisions down to either dark gray or white exterior colors. Looks like the darker color makes these look a little less mall cruiser in stock form :hmm: Jblatl, how do you like having this vehicle in white in general?

Louisiana = White ;)

that is one of the biggest reasons being all of the rain we get, easier to keep clean. guess it would help keep it cooler also

I'd have preferred super white to my blizzard pearl, but I agree with @txtortoise... Dallas has four seasons - January, February, Hot, and Christmas. Lighter colors help, at least a little.

My 08 (93k on it as of today) has needed water pump and plugs as well as brakes at 75k. It'll require a radiator at some point in the near future as the "crack" has started to show but the $$$ I saved up front makes all these maintenance items much much easier to swallow.. I purchased my rig with about 60k on it back in 2013. My opinion is that you really cannot go wrong as low no as the rig has been maintained to some degree. Good luck man.

Vehicle I'm looking at has extensive service records on the plus side. At 105k, it has had the following-new water pump, brakes done, coolant, fuel clean service and differential, new plugs, battery.
The car now has about 130k on it so looks like it should be good for a bit, unless a starter etc would need replacing

Vehicle I'm looking at has extensive service records on the plus side. At 105k, it has had the following-new water pump, brakes done, coolant, fuel clean service and differential, new plugs, battery.
The car now has about 130k on it so looks like it should be good for a bit, unless a starter etc would need replacing

I'm a big fan of service records. Use them to create a story for how you believe the vehicle was treated. Mine for instance saw regular oil changes every ~3 months/6k miles, had one issue with the rear DVD player, and was serviced around Houston so I took that to mean wife of an oil exec with kids did mostly suburban driving. If the price is right, pull the trigger.

BTW brakes seem to go 30-50k miles, so depending on the driving you might be due for a new set of pads soon.

I live in the hot south, white is great for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom