Safari Snorkel and the Power Antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LXColorado

LX -> LC
Threads
Hoping the gurus can chime in.

I installed a SS86HF model Safari Snorkel yesterday. I would like to retain my power antenna. I've seen a couple of threads that show the SS86HF model with the antenna still intact, but nothing explaining how they went about modifying the snorkel. Slee's website even says the snorkel will require modification to retain the antenna. As it stands, the snorkel completely covers the hole. It seems like the only way would be to heat and mold the snorkel?

What's the procedure here?

Cheers!

Heat up a 1"-1 1/2" metal pipe and reshape the plastic where the antenna goes. You can make a divot big enough for the anteanna to pass by.

You can also hide the antenna inside the fender. That's what I did and I used the snorkel to cover the hole where the antenna was.

I really appreciate the responses, guys! I'm looking at two options:

1. Heat a copper pipe, and mold the safari snorkel. My old power antenna's motor was broken, so I would invest in a new system. I've seen some go for $200-$350.

2. Buy a long antenna cable, and attach a stubby somewhere. There's a 1.4" antenna I can throw on top of the LX, and it would eventually be hidden by a roof rack. Lots of options here, and it's easier on the wallet considering how little I use the radio.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Fwiw, some of the cheep snorkels have the notch for the antenna.

Yes as @benc stated, my eBay snorkel already came pre-notched for the antenna. I remember seeing someone on here that installed a RHD antenna in their driver side fender to replace the one lost by the snorkel.

The one I just bought off Amazon is notched for the antenna and 127$ shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMSV2QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

J

IMG_20160926_104753931.jpg
IMG_20160926_104809887.jpg

So, just curious, why the cheap the cheapo Amazon and Ebay models have a notch and the higher priced ARB and TJM do not?

So, just curious, why the cheap the cheapo Amazon and Ebay models have a notch and the higher priced ARB and TJM do not?
The higher end options were ultimately designed for rigs in Australia and other overseas countries. They have the antenna on the "driver" side of the vehicle (passenger for them). So they did not factor in the US market I assume.

I will say this, comparing my old 4Runner's ARB with my cheapo eBay snorkel, I would say they're made of equal quality. I will never spend $500 again on a piece of plastic...

Beyond frustrated today. I went to heat a copper pipe to mold the snorkel around the antenna. Well, I guess I heated the plastic too much, cause I went through the snorkel. Now there's a small hole in it. If anything, I'm mad at Safari Snorkel for not even bothering with the U.S. spec 100. I've sent them an email, and posted on their Facebook (I guess that's how you get companies to respond nowadays), so we'll see what they have to say. Unfortunately, I don't expect ARB/Safari to do anything about this.

I ordered the pre-molded snorkel from Amazon (link from reevesci).

Thanks guys!

Aye you got the pipe too hot! Sorry to hear that man, luckily with a little abs and some plastic welding/epoxy you can fix the snorkel.

For future reference, always start with the pipe WARM then gradually heat it until its warm enough to mold the plastic.

Definitely got it too hot :/ I ended up re-melting some leftover plastic on top of the hole. Not sure how durable it is, but it's waterproof, for now.

Just sucks, ya know. For +$400, you shouldn't have to deal with this!

LXColorado - Agree with you 100%. I have the same snorkel in a box in the garage, waiting to install on my 06' 100. Trying to figure out the same issue you mention, and thinking, WTF? Why don't they make a US version? No doubt they have many US customers.... oh well...

LXColorado - Agree with you 100%. I have the same snorkel in a box in the garage, waiting to install on my 06' 100. Trying to figure out the same issue you mention, and thinking, WTF? Why don't they make a US version? No doubt they have many US customers.... oh well...
If you still have the receipt I'd return it and buy the $100 eBay knockoff. Mine is better quality than the safari I had on my old 4Runner minus some of the hardware. Plus it already has a pre molded spot for the antenna!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom