Auto VX sluggish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Formulaonehd

NWZ - The storm is here
Threads
Hi all

Im at the tail end of fixing up all the niggles on my VX. After filling the tanks up (they haven't been filled for a long time) the beast has been running sluggish, particularly uphill and on soft surfaces.
I have ordered new fuel pump and filter but wondering if there are other potential issues at work there or if anyone has experienced this after not filling fuel tanks for an extended period of time?

Cheers

Good evening,

Need a bit more info please:
Year, engine, any mods, any work done recently
I'm guessing being a VX in Oz, it's probably a JDM import?

Good evening,

Need a bit more info please:
Year, engine, any mods, any work done recently
I'm guessing being a VX in Oz, it's probably a JDM import?

Sorry for slow reply.
Its a 93 VX, auto 4.5 (stock standard) 149kms on clock and yes its the Japanese import.

I have been running it daily and things have improved after the fuel cleaner went through it. One thing I have noticed is I think the gears are skipping which is adding to the sluggish nature during acceleration.
I know there was a post way back where the socket connector at the gear box (I'll post a photo) that has corroded out and the dash lights no longer show up to indicate what ear it is in.
My question would be does this connector only affect the dash board or does it affect the way gears are changing as im pretty sure it keeps skipping second and fourth gear on many occasions. Also reverse jumps into gear pretty aggressively.

IMG_0560.JPG

The corrosion on the NSS barrel plug on my son's 94 was causing occasional starts in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear. Reverse lights were out and dash indicator lights were not lighting up correctly. So, occasionally the corrosion was causing a skip of 1st gear. Could this be causing your occasional 2nd and 4th gear skip? There are lots of wires in that connector, that perform lots of functions. Try inspecting and cleaning the connector and report back. Are your dash indicator lights working properly?

Sorry for slow reply.
Its a 93 VX, auto 4.5 (stock standard) 149kms on clock and yes its the Japanese import.

I have been running it daily and things have improved after the fuel cleaner went through it. One thing I have noticed is I think the gears are skipping which is adding to the sluggish nature during acceleration.
I know there was a post way back where the socket connector at the gear box (I'll post a photo) that has corroded out and the dash lights no longer show up to indicate what ear it is in.
My question would be does this connector only affect the dash board or does it affect the way gears are changing as im pretty sure it keeps skipping second and fourth gear on many occasions. Also reverse jumps into gear pretty aggressively.

View attachment 1315381
Ahhhk yeh I think that is definitely the problem as i'm experiencing that. My whole plug has corroded out, some of the metal prongs have snapped so it isn't connected at all
How did your son get around this? I was going to take it to an Auto leccy close by to get them reconnected but as you said there are more than just gears connected to that prong. Otherwise I would just cut and rewire individually....

Ahhhk yeh I think that is definitely the problem as i'm experiencing that. My whole plug has corroded out, some of the metal prongs have snapped so it isn't connected at all
How did your son get around this? I was going to take it to an Auto leccy close by to get them reconnected but as you said there are more than just gears connected to that prong. Otherwise I would just cut and rewire individually....

Some of our wires (maybe 2 or 3) were not connected as well. For the bad ones, I just spliced wires around the connector. After all was cleaned tested and wired around, I sealed/waterproofed the outside of the connector with silicone. Make sure your inner fender splash guards are in place after the repair. I cut and fitted pieces of 18 wheeler mud flaps to solve that issue inexpensively.

Ahhhh I see
How did you know which wires were for which ? Do the colours match ?

Ahhhh I see
How did you know which wires were for which ? Do the colours match ?
Sorry I can't recall. Just label, take pics, diagram and be careful when disconnecting the connector so not to unknowingly separate the wires from connector ends. Then do a careful inspection of each wire/connector. Then splice as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom