Great job for Vets. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Forest Service OHV manager reached out to me last fall. He heard I wasn't in the club anymore, said I was an asset to the Forest service as a volunteer, and he didn't want to lose me. I had given him one of the original TBI cards the season before. He took it seriously, and we will be talking so he understands the situation before hand. He's handling it the right way. What you're saying makes me wonder if the F.S. has a push to involve veterans.

I know first hand the BLM does. They are pushing hard to get more Veterans jobs. Look into Tm Rubicon and the BLM.

Sent from my SM-G920V

A full time job would be too much for me, that's why I like the flexibility of volunteering.

You can just work maybe a fire or 2 a year as a Tm Rubicon guy and do it, you do not even need to be on the fire line but could be at camp doing stuff like RADO or supply or whatever at a fire camp.

Sent from my SM-G920V

Well shoot.

Guess I should update this.

Am on a Hotshot crew this year in AZ. Aravaipa Hotshots. It is a tough job esp. at my age, but it is funny seeing kids half my age sucking worse than me. And the other folks saying they hope they are in as good of shape as I am when they hit 50. Makes you feel good.

Not too sure if I will make it to anyone on here neck of the woods but if you have a fire and have some shots on it from southern AZ its most likely us. Most of the crew are Vets.

Well shoot.

Guess I should update this.

Am on a Hotshot crew this year in AZ. Aravaipa Hotshots. It is a tough job esp. at my age, but it is funny seeing kids half my age sucking worse than me. And the other folks saying they hope they are in as good of shape as I am when they hit 50. Makes you feel good.

Not too sure if I will make it to anyone on here neck of the woods but if you have a fire and have some shots on it from southern AZ its most likely us. Most of the crew are Vets.

Good on ya!!

Wish I was younger... for more reasons than hotshots :cool:

Interesting what you said... my son-in-law is an aquatics biologist... hard work in rivers and streams... he's 46 and he's said the same thing many times... about kids half his age that simply can't keep up...

Where are you working?

Interesting. I havn't seen anything about that fire, but I don't watch much news either.

Fire was not there but by Nogales AZ. I work out of Sierra Vista AZ.

Was just on one in the Guadalupe Mountains in NM. Had to fly in by chopper.

Back home for a few days off.

Was just in Grants NM. Not too much there. Rode on route 66. Not too impressed.

Maybe we can catch a new fire tomorrow.

Guess I should update again.

Season ended 1.5 weeks ago for us. 2154 hours. Not too bad. Back in NC for a few weeks and then back out West to train for next season.

Shot crew life is not for everyone but it is for me, even at my age. I will max out in 7 years but I am going till then or as long as my body will hold up.

While training I will be hunting too. And put in some good wheeling out there.

Guess I should update again.

Season ended 1.5 weeks ago for us. 2154 hours. Not too bad. Back in NC for a few weeks and then back out West to train for next season.

Shot crew life is not for everyone but it is for me, even at my age. I will max out in 7 years but I am going till then or as long as my body will hold up.

While training I will be hunting too. And put in some good wheeling out there.

Extremes huh? Putting out fires one week, kayaking through the NC floods the next!

Krzy, Glad to see you're liking it. I was TFLD on the Cedar fire in Show Low this summer. You guys were one of my resources the first day I was there. I was going to try and say hi, but you never got the chance as that fire just did what it wanted.

Brittain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom