Help with 1/4 NPT brass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've searched and googled this but can't seem to find out what I want to know. I'm sure somebody here knows how to do this.

I want to make a small coil of brass tubing with 1/4 NPT fittings for the outlet side of my MV-50 air compressor. I saw a picture of this somewhere but can't find the original thread or any help on NPT fittings on plumbing forums.

What do I need to buy, what's the tubing called and the fittings, what type do I need? I have a feeling it's some kind of compression fitting but I'd like to be sure before I waste a bunch of time at Lowes.

Thanks

Are you sure you want brass? Seems like 1/4" copper tubing would be easier, the stuff you run for ice makers. Then just get fittings that go from 1/4" compression to 1/4" NPT.

Yeah, you're right, I meant copper. So they're compression fittings, but is there a certain size tube for the 1/4NPT or are different sizes available?

OK I found my own answer to that fitting size question but lemme ask one more dumb question. Any of the copper tubing that comes in a cool will work? I found 3/8 compression fittings with 1/4 NPT thread. This tubing is the right kind for compression fittings?

image.png

I really aprreciate it guys. I'm not so handy with the plumbing stuff.

why do you want to put a coil there?

I'm not a fan of the SharkBite fittings, especially in this application. They are very expensive, and I would bet they wouldn't take the heat. I have an MV50 and that thing gets really hot.

3/8 copper is good but it's much harder to get a tight bend without kinking the tube. I would think that 1/4" would do what you need and be a lot easier to work with.

why do you want to put a coil there?

My guess he is talking about making a loop for vibration. Rigit more likely to get cracked lines with vibration from the compressor. The coiled copper is soft drawn be sure to get soft drawn. You can also just buy a vibration isolator

My guess he is talking about making a loop for vibration. Rigit more likely to get cracked lines with vibration from the compressor. The coiled copper is soft drawn be sure to get soft drawn. You can also just buy a vibration isolator

why would vibration be a problem? the outlet is connect to a flex hose if it's used as a portable device. Maybe he's talking about a fixed installation.
could help a bit with decreasing the heating of the hose/connector, but that hardly seems necessary.
and it will reduce the flow rate if the inner diameter is too small.

why would vibration be a problem? the outlet is connect to a flex hose if it's used as a portable device. Maybe he's talking about a fixed installation.
could help a bit with decreasing the heating of the hose/connector, but that hardly seems necessary.
and it will reduce the flow rate if the inner diameter is too small.

Some how missed your post. I wasn't paying attention to what compress he was talking about. Was thinking of a much larger compressor and planning using it between the compressor and fixed regulator. Sad part is I have a couple of the MV50 compressors I carry in vehicles.:doh: The fitting does get very hot at the compressor when airing up four tires. Easiest to just use leather gloves.:meh:

:cheers:

Hey guys sorry I missed all the posts on this. I saw someone else hot rod their MV50 compressor and they used a small coil of brass to take the heat off the head of the compressor. That's what I wanted to do too. I already upgraded the hose and added a big 3/8 brass connector but I still melted my rubber blend hose. So I'm thinking I need to add something to take some of the heat this thing makes. It's going to be a permanent install under the hood, and I was gonna run 3/8 DOT nylon line to an air chuck mounted on my bumper.

Imagine a compression fitting in the head where the gauge was, a 6" coil of soft 3/8 copper, another compression fitting that's bracket mounted and fixed in place and then 3/8 DOT nylon to the front bumper chuck.

image.png

So I decided wtf this is a huge waste of time trying to mimic this other mv50 build exactly. I ordered this today and will forget everything I don't know about plumbing. Probably saved 5 bucks over the copper stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom