Root Beer Float, my 1990 HZJ77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was brought to my attention that silicone hoses are softer than rubber hoses and that under high suction loads can collapse. So I sleeved the inside of the turbo intake with some 2.5 inch exhaust pipe in the straight sections to prevent that from happening. 7 dollar fix.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

made great progress today, but not much in the way of pics. I had some expert help from DanSHJ-45. We finished off the air intake, wired up the ARB lights, and installed a new brake MC. As suspected the MC had an internal leak. The braking action seemed ok, but while sitting at a stop the pedal would slowly need more pressure to hold the brakes. I went out on a limb and tried using a 1990-1992 80 series MC. The MC was originally a disk/drum setup and the 77 comes stock with 4 wheel disk brakes. However the brake lines matched up really closely and several members have swapped their drums to disks and used this master with no issue. So far so good. It brakes nicely, but it still needs another session of bleeding.

image.jpeg

You can see the fluid was leaking back into the brake booster.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You can see it's almost an exact match. The bonus is that this master is available through Rock Auto and it is aluminum VS painted steel.
image.jpeg

Not all 77's are disc fr/rr. I've got drums out back and desperately want to convert to discs. It's good to know this mc works.

Excellent shots and nice progress you have made.

Does your wife let you powder coat in the home oven!? ;)

Stripped the hood today. It took me about 4 hrs to strip it down and then block it out with 220 grit to knock down the swirls and remove any risidual paint. It could probably be done faster, but I was paranoid I would warp it and get oil canning, so I just went slow and moved around a lot. It's almost ready for some paint. Stripping the roof is going to really be a PITA!

IMG_3109.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom