Long Time Lurker - 100 Series Help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys - I've learned a ton from this group as a Lurker, hopefully I can help join and add to the base.

I currently am in a 4th Gen 2005 4Runner with 187k miles. Its paid off and I would like to move into an 80 or 100 series. Probably the 100 based on the creature comforts and relative lack of any off roading other than some rough terrain ice fishing as a Pro Staffer.

Question. I had an LX470 I found locally with 135k miles and nearly all records on the Lexus portal. Unfortunately the stealership I bought it from used a CarQuest Water Pump (along with timing belt and axles, yikes) and it failed on my 1st day of ownership on an ice fishing tournament trip. It overheated and pegged me a CEL and I was furious. It was beautiful.

So I'm on the hunt again. I'm looking at an LX450 for $6500 but it might just be too old for 2 kids (thinking safety advances on the 100), a 2004 LC with 200k on it for $11k that comes from a known source and a very knowledgable guy locally or another 2004 LX with incredible records at lexus with 212k.

I know its more about "personalities" than mileage with the 2UZFE but my question is this. If the worst happened and I needed a tranny or engine do people actually just dump $5k-$10k back into these rigs and drive them to 350K? I bought my 4Runner with 140k and have had basically zero issues, squeaks or rattles in 4 years and expect a similar experience with Cruiser or LX of any age but need a reality check if looking at 200k to start is crazy. I could spend $30k if I wanted to but I'd rather not.

Appreciate any advice from the crew. Thanks!

As long as the rigs are up to date on maintenance (timing belt/wp with QUALITY parts), I wouldn't see a problem with over 200k. I actually went and looked at an '07 with 211k yesterday for a fellow mud member and it was in great shape less the dirty interior. I would however say if you are going to be transporting kids, and especially coming from the 4R, go with the 100 series.

As for future tranny/engine replacement costs, I've seen engines had for $500-$1k, and trannies for a little more. But thats only IF they go out, which is just as unlikely if well maintained.

Don't let the bad taste in your mouth from your last LX470 ruin any future 100 for you. These are great vehicles. :)

Welcome Booker.

Let me understand a little more what you story is- you had a LX470 and the water pump went out and it overheated? What happened next? Why did you not fix it? Normally if an engine overheats it will need an upper end job (possibly heads, gaskets etc), depending if the shop can fix the aluminum heads with some deck work. Worst case, it needs new heads which at that point, it's cheaper to get a used engine.

Almost all of us on this forum are not putting in 10K on a 9-18 YO vehicle, that doesn't make $en$e. Case in point- I bought mine under the assumption the engine was dead and needed a replacement. It turned out to be a stuck #6 valve. I did put in a few grand to fix it at my indy shop but that also included some "while it's open, I may as well as do some PM - starter, TB/WP". In lieu of the possibility of the engine needing replacement, I did purchase and now am selling a low mileage engine for $1500 that I didn't need. So, if a catastrophe occurs where the engine or tranny go out, most of us either rebuild the part or get a used replacement, whichever makes the most $en$e. We are not going to the dealer to get a new crate engine for 11K though (or at least almost all of us).

All that said, the 100s are excellent vehicles. To see this yourself, go to autotrader, search for 100s nationwide (98-07), and sort by highest mileage first. Normally, there are lots of trucks with 250K+ on them. That is a testament to their engineering quality.

Sounds like you should look into a certified or new 200 series. All you need to do is put gas in it and change the oil.

I should clarify - I spent $20k on the LX470 but after that experience wasn't interested in having that dealer touch it for the repairs. If they got a bad water pump while they did the timing belt and front axles I felt like I couldn't trust it with non OEM parts. I'm all for spending if required long term, but felt like how can I trust if if they effed up something that simple. And how do I know the extent of the damage if it ran hot and for how long? I have a higher end ODBII SCanner but it can't tell me the running temp at a point in time etc. I have no interest in a 200 series.

Point taken on not putting in $5k, but if I can find something for $10k and it needs $5k in a year but will last another 4-5 years and can be resold for $7k the net monthly payment to me does make sense. Its just a question of math.

I guess what I'm asking if I have a 200k rig that ran me $10k can I get away with $1k-$2k/yr in maintenance and if something brutal happened put in $3k or $4k (IE Tranny, Engine both unlikely, AHC if Equipped or NAV) and then be relatively trouble free after that. To me, an all in pricepoint of say $15k if something crapped out leaving me 3-5 years of reliable driving beats a $25k vehicle based on resale

Buying any vehicle with that many miles is rolling the dice. You never know whats going to happen. Maybe you should look into something with a warranty. Jeep maybe?

I'd put the major failure in the back of my mind. Most (nearly all) won't need an engine or transmission of properly maintained and repaired.

Thanks guys – I appreciate the feedback, the reality is a jeep with the warrantee in my opinion will have far more problems day to day but I don't want to deal with versus a used Toyota of any kind based on my experience.

Just ran into a guy with a 99 at a grocery store and it was quelled as can be. 268k. Incredible.

I would trust the knowledgeable local guy with the $11K Cruiser. The only reason I bought my 2006 LC100 through the local Toyota dealership was that the service manager is a friend bad gave me a heads up on an incoming trade. I was there within two hours and there were already two others looking at it. With "the correct" maintenance these will run forever. My wive thought I was crazy to buy a 10 year old truck with 125K on it, until I started to make arrangements to have it passed to my daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom