May I get a price check on a '97 FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
172k miles.
Black with tan leather. Interior is OK, about 7/10
Full time AWD
No lockers
Needs new valve gasket and a RMS.
Pulls strong.
Ext. 7/10/ No rust, but some minor dents.

What is a fair price for this?

It's worth whatever you or any buyer will pay for it. An 80 series is a "want" item not a "need" item so it's worth is determined by he who covets it. Start with KBB or NADA and adjust from there.
Have you search Craigslist and eBay nationwide to get an idea what is being asked for a similar 80?

Eh, the want/need statement is lame. There is value window for this. Can't find exact comps as the FT AWD is throwing it off. Some think it is less desirable while others like it. The lack of lockers is the other factor. KBB/NADA doesn't mean anything since I am in Cali. I bought and sold a Tacoma, Porsche 3.2, Porsche 993, and a Prius all for 20%-40% above book. CL are ASK prices which mean squat. But I will do an advanced search on Ebay....forgot about that, so for that, I thank you for reminding me of that option.

If this exact rig had PT 4WD and lockers, I know it would be worth $9-10k.

I paid 6k for mine, in similar overall condition, but with a lot of the heavy maintenance stuff recently completed, new BFG KOII's, ARB front bumper and a few other minor mods but needing a little tlc. Mine is Locked and does have a bit of rust under it but not bad at all for a North east truck its whole life. I likely got a good deal based on the over all market, but it was at the top of the budget I had laid out for my self to spend on an 80 so I got the most my money could buy me at that point in time for what was on the market

I think you got a great deal since it is locked w/ ARB. Guy here is asking $5k, it drives well, but needs new gasket ($150), RMS ($1100), and some diff work ($400), so it ends up to be $6500+ for an unlocked rig. I am thinking of trading my 62 for a good 80.

Yeah with what I have in it now I am pushing 7500, but thats all stuff I did my self for the cost of parts and I have an "old truck" I am not afraid to jump in at the drop of a hat and drive ANYWHERE ... I have run it from PA to MT and MT to AZ and will be heading back to MT in the next month or so with no hicups with it that were not my own fault.

[/QUOTE]
If this exact rig had PT 4WD and lockers, I know it would be worth $9-10k.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know there was a part time 4WD model. Never seen anything other than full time 4WD.

There were no fzj80's imported to the US with part time 4wd so if you find one its probably going to be special.

If published values are meaningless then, like I said, it's all about opinion's. $1100 for a RMS? Not in my garage brother! My labor is free because it's my hobby and i find it relaxing. If you need a shop to do your maintenance then you better have deep pockets. If you have deep pockets, why be so critical of the asking price when it's in the ball park? 172k is nothing as long as the oil was change once in awhile and it was never over heated. Every old truck has its issues. You just need to find one with issues you don't mind dealing with. It's like choosing a wife.

Haha, good analogy and agree completely. I will do the gasket, but live in a condo and am not allowed to take a transmission out to access a RMS (nor do I have the equipment/skills to do so). Pulled $$$ for leverage's sake against the seller. I will wrench what I can get away with, but anything engine/tranny out, I won't mess with. But yea, I do enjoy working on the engine but will unfortunately have to spend for some of the more labor intensive maintenance. I redid the interior (dash, carpet, new seats, and headliner) in a Datsun 510. Now was a bitch and I hated 70% of the process. I will gladly pay someone else to do an interior.

I think you got a great deal since it is locked w/ ARB. Guy here is asking $5k, it drives well, but needs new gasket ($150), RMS ($1100), and some diff work ($400), so it ends up to be $6500+ for an unlocked rig. I am thinking of trading my 62 for a good 80.
Then you might want to look at a good one. This one is in your area, has low miles and lockers. The hood is trashed but nothing a flat black wrap wont fix. $6500.

1996 Landcruiser,

It might be worth the plane ticket to buy one in cheaper area of the country.

And a 60/80 trade post in classifieds, maybe someone wth a nice 80 wants a nice 60 series. Win win

That's a 5-6k truck here in NC but your region will drive that price up. Saw a 151k mile 450 yesterday that matched that description for 6950 on a used lot and thought it was 2-3 over local market value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom