Question about jerry cans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have two jerry cans, both steel and I want to use both for carrying gas. One has the "G" stamped on the side, screw on cap and smells like gas (previous owner). I'm assuming it has no leaks as I just bought it for $15 and haven't put anything in it yet.

The other can has "water" painted on the side, and the lid which I bought separately but works with this style can, has "water" stamped onto the lid. It's completely dry and clean inside. My question is, can I use it for gas? Obviously, once I do, it'll always be for gas, but are there steel Jerry can designs that were not suppose to be used for gas? Thanks for any info on this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I can't imagine it would be problem to use the "water" one for gas. Maybe just do a test to make sure the paint is not going to come off in gas.
However, you might want to consider using a gasket on the red and changing gasket on the green.

Thanks, I planned on getting new gaskets for both, but just was not sure the "water" can could hold gas. I couldn't figure out a reason why it could not, but wanted some other opinions before doing so. Thank you!

The plastic used for Jerry cans designed to carry gasoline is different than the HDPE used for jerrys designed for water.

Yes you can use a water Jerry to transport gasoline. But I wouldn't store gasoline in it.

Seems kind of sad to use such a cool unique water can for gas. Gas cans are pretty easy to get.

I've given this more thought and I may just put these on a shelf . I'm probably gonna get Scepter cans or use Rotopax. Thx

I think for you, these are non-CARB funnels or something. I don't think this can is
available for you south of the border. I may very well be wrong (sure won't be first time)
on that. I think guys order them online anyhow. For you now, with a good conversion on the dollar, certainly worth looking at. If you do buy them, I recommend spending the extra on the wrench and the black diesel funnel.

I think for you, these are non-CARB funnels or something. I don't think this can is
available for you south of the border. I may very well be wrong (sure won't be first time)
on that. I think guys order them online anyhow. For you now, with a good conversion on the dollar, certainly worth looking at. If you do buy them, I recommend spending the extra on the wrench and the black diesel funnel.

Yeah they wont ship to a US address, but I have a friend in London i might be able to hassel to pick them up for me and ship them over. Debating that route or just get the new wavian cans..ugh

Rotopax. Couple summers ago we went for a 2 week trip into Utah and Nevada and experienced some fairly hot days of 110+F. The rotopax gas containers swelled so bad that I barely was able to release them from their mounts and was very worried about rupture. After relaying my experience to a few folks I started hearing stories of what I don't want to ever see. Rupture of tanks with fuel all over the back of the Cruiser. When not in the heat they have been great and are easy to use and have had zero issues but I won"t be using them in the heat like that again. They got so bloated that they never went all the way back to original shape. I have a pic somewhere. Have any of you guys had any experience like that with rotopax? I figure some normal pressure in the tank is expected with the heat and bouncing around but sure did seem like a huge amount of stretching of the walls of the tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom