Anyone have experience with ProNautic "P" series battery chargers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't quite know where to put this question so since I'm using it in an 80, here goes...

I just got another Odyssey 31M PC2150 battery and am looking at chargers after nearly killing the old one due to inadequate re-charging after cycling it. For best results the 2150 requires a minimum of 40A and 14.4 to 14.7V through both Bulk and Absorption cycles. Very few chargers meet these requirements and the ProMariner - ProNautic 1240P is the least expensive by a little. But very high quality. So... Anybody have/had one?

71rmzmIFZJL._SL1413_.jpg

Last edited:
Oh gosh.. more things for me to buy! I have the same Odyssey battery.

How is your battery system set up? I avoid the problem of needing an expensive charger by using the Odyssey for everything, while keeping the second battery completely isolated through a Hellroaring system, so the alternator can take charge itt. I just use a Battery Tender Plus to maintain it when not in regular use.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by "everything" when you also have a second battery. Perhaps you could clear that up for me.
But anyway, how long have you had the 2150 in your truck? I had mine for about three years thinking that I was doing the right thing only to find out (very slowly) that it was getting worn down, and very likely sulfated, over time when it became less and less able to hold a full charge with my onboard loads pulling it down sooner and sooner. I blamed it on parasitic loads over night but that was just showing me that the battery was going bad.

For best results the 2150 requires a minimum of 40A and 14.4 to 14.7V through both Bulk and Absorption cycles.

It's strange that Odyssey doesn't even sell a charger that can meet their own requirements to charge their batteries. The largest they sell is 20A. I didn't see a charger listed on their recommended charger list either:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEYApproved12VChargers_000.pdf

Makes overall cost of ownership for an odyssey much more expensive...

I'm not sure what you mean by "everything" when you also have a second battery. Perhaps you could clear that up for me.
But anyway, how long have you had the 2150 in your truck? I had mine for about three years thinking that I was doing the right thing only to find out (very slowly) that it was getting worn down, and very likely sulfated, over time when it became less and less able to hold a full charge with my onboard loads pulling it down sooner and sooner. I blamed it on parasitic loads over night but that was just showing me that the battery was going bad.

By everything, I mean that everything that involves power runs off of the Odyssey battery. Alternator, winch, starter, lights, etc. The second battery is wired to nothing but the Hellroaring relay unit. The relay unit puts the batteries in parallel to charge the secondary when needed, or when I command it to via a toggle switch. It's really just a backup. This way I avoid the typical problems of running it as a 'house' battery and having it discharge deeply.

The Odyssey has been in there for about three years. It's almost always on the charger and, I'm sorry to say, is only used once per month or so during the school year. I recently took it on a trip and had no problems with it sitting for a few days at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom