Aisan SD40 blue plate question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need to pay more attention to this section. I know I have at least three missing the plate. Believe a cruiser I have out of town has a grey plate but unable to check right now to see how many slots.

Mark, do you need to borrow a grey one? Looked on the shelf, and out of 3 carbs, I've got 1 with a plate and it's grey.
My Stout carb has engraving in the glass, but the glass is bigger, I don't know why I always thought they were the same size.
Paul

Thanks Paul, I have one of each that JP is sending me. Thanks for the offer. I hope this works out

Mark

Thanks Andy, yes I still don't have any loners. If someone wants to help, it would be appreciated.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, I can pull the grey one out this weekend and get it sent Monday, if needed.
Paul

Thanks Paul. Pm coming

Data point:
I have 2 SD40, both blue plate, date codes 4F & 5J. That would indicate the grey plate is 66-67 model years only. The blue plate would be a better color to do initially, since it would be for E-65.

Believe the 66/67 had the small window in US market. Pretty sure I have a grey plate in a FJ25 which is much earlier.

Little update: first of all a big Thank You to Paul for sending me a grey plate to use and to all the others for their advise and expertise.
(I will get this back to you Paul)!

I spent several hours yesterday at a local business that does some work for the aerospace industry including working with some parts for the Apache Helicopters.

The bad: in order reproduce this part, tooling would need to be made at a cost of more than $8000. (Not going to happen). We are still researching in another avenue but we are not confidant that a reasonable price point will be achievable.

My goal was to reproduce this part for many of us that do not have one. Even though this particular part is really just a cosmetic thing, it does allow one to see the fuel level better. We all know, it's really not needed but there is a "cool factor" when you see that blue plate in the engine compartment.

The Good: is the willingness of the many who offered to help.

Again, Thanks for your help in this endeavor.

Mark

Paul, it's on it's way back to ya!! Thank you

Mark...

They say 3D printing is the future. They can even print with metal now. I'm wondering what the possibilities for this and other unobtanium parts are.

I heard about a company "shapeways.com". You can upload a 3D cad drawing and they can print it. In a wide range of materials and colors. They have a webshop where you can list your self designed parts. When somebody orders that part at them you earn money.

Unfortunately I'm not a cad designer.

Hey all. Has this topic been resurrected by chance? Great read, was hoping for a happy ending. Like many others, searching for a blue plate. Been some years since this thread, wondering if someone has found a way to reproduce these things yet. Welcoming any input.

One has to wonder how they pulled it off with `60's tech. So, has someone found a source to stamp the plates by chance? It would be interesting to have one and experiment with various coatings. The script, what about laser etching? I'm sure somebody is messing with it out there, I'd like to as well if I had a plate or two.

Well, that maybe true, if I had a plate as a platform. Was hoping someone conquered that hurdle first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom