94 Trooper 4JG2 diesel swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I have embarked on a fun and hopefully fruitful project to swap a 3.1L 4JG2 diesel into a 94 gasser. This 94 trooper came into my possession for a great deal and is in excellent condition inside and out. I decided - foolishly or otherwise - to make a real truck out of it and install the motor that should have been installed in the first place - a fuel efficient diesel! too bad they didn't sell them with a diesel here in Canada!

I purchased the 4JG2 engine/tranny/TC, imported from Japan, and the gas drivetrain was just pulled today. So I guess I'm committed! There will a few things to modify and/or retrofit to swap in the diesel, but nothing too difficult. The biggest challenge has been ordering parts for the 4JG2, because it wasn't sold here in Canada and I have to order alost everything from Japan, UK or Australia. A good source for parts and listing of N.America part numbers for this engine would be really helpful!

Anyway, if you've read this far, maybe you're intersted in hearing more about the conversion process. if there's some interest, I'd be willing to take some time and post the pics and conversion process. I like to contribute, but it's also nice to know the effort is worth it! Stay tuned....

Thanks Jon, good to know. But I'm well into my project so I'm not looking to buy another. I'll have a lot more than $3000 in mine, so his price is good if the overall truck is in great shape. but then mine is the 2nd gen Trooper which has a more updated body style.

Awesome build, If you haven't already I would highly recommend checking out planetisuzoo - An Isuzu SUV Club it's pretty much the 'Mud of the Isuzu world...we even have our own version of CDan :cheers:

Hey Rezkid, thanks for the tip. Great site! Any chance there's a manual for the AW30-40LE transmission on that site?

Hey Rezkid, thanks for the tip. Great site! Any chance there's a manual for the AW30-40LE transmission on that site?

On the site it's self? Not likely...the guy you want to get ahold of is JLEMOND...he is the Isuzu world's version of CDan. Send him a PM or post up in the drive train forum and he'll likely get back to ya pretty quick and hook it up :cheers:

help!

I tried, but can't find JLEMOND, and I want to send him a PM. I must be missing something, but I couldn't find him in the community section in order to send a PM. help!

Planetisuzoo.com • Login

There ya go :cheers:

edit: you'll have to login to see his profile. If that doesn't work click on the link for memberlist, and then J, he's on the 5th page

Well, I have embarked on a fun and hopefully fruitful project to swap a 3.1L 4JG2 diesel into a 94 gasser. This 94 trooper came into my possession for a great deal and is in excellent condition inside and out. I decided - foolishly or otherwise - to make a real truck out of it and install the motor that should have been installed in the first place - a fuel efficient diesel! too bad they didn't sell them with a diesel here in Canada!

I purchased the 4JG2 engine/tranny/TC, imported from Japan, and the gas drivetrain was just pulled today. So I guess I'm committed! There will a few things to modify and/or retrofit to swap in the diesel, but nothing too difficult. The biggest challenge has been ordering parts for the 4JG2, because it wasn't sold here in Canada and I have to order alost everything from Japan, UK or Australia. A good source for parts and listing of N.America part numbers for this engine would be really helpful!

Anyway, if you've read this far, maybe you're intersted in hearing more about the conversion process. if there's some interest, I'd be willing to take some time and post the pics and conversion process. I like to contribute, but it's also nice to know the effort is worth it! Stay tuned....
hi, i am planing to do diesel conversion as well. could i please contact you for some advice. I have some questions: 1) is it just simply using the diesel engine mounts to make the conversion possible?
2) did you have to modify the length of the drive shaft to fit onto the "diesel transmission"?
3) did you have to use the transmission ECU to make it work?

I have the diesel 4jg2 and the automatic tranny which came with the engine

Please pm me or contact me me here. I will pm you with my phone number. Thanks, Harry

hi, i am planing to do diesel conversion as well. could i please contact you for some advice. I have some questions: 1) is it just simply using the diesel engine mounts to make the conversion possible?
2) did you have to modify the length of the drive shaft to fit onto the "diesel transmission"?
3) did you have to use the transmission ECU to make it work?

I have the diesel 4jg2 and the automatic tranny which came with the engine

Please pm me or contact me me here. I will pm you with my phone number. Thanks, Harry

Hi,
I haven't checked this thread in a while. best to PM me. to answer your questions:

1. the diesel engine mounts will not fit directly to the frame mounts. the engine sits back a couple inches compared to the gasser, so we had to modify the mounts to make them fit.
2. the rear driveshaft had to be shortened, I got it cut and welded at a fabrication shop. I think I still have the specs on shaft length if you need that.
3. I never did get the tranny ECU to work. I couldn't find data on the pin connectors so I had no idea how to wire it. Instead, I installed a simple aftermarket shift controller to shift through the gears. sorta like a "manumatic", which actually works quite well.

Good luck on the conversion, I was really happy with mine and I'm sure you will too! If you want more info, let me know. I'm happy to share.

Don

Hi,
I haven't checked this thread in a while. best to PM me. to answer your questions:

1. the diesel engine mounts will not fit directly to the frame mounts. the engine sits back a couple inches compared to the gasser, so we had to modify the mounts to make them fit.
2. the rear driveshaft had to be shortened, I got it cut and welded at a fabrication shop. I think I still have the specs on shaft length if you need that.
3. I never did get the tranny ECU to work. I couldn't find data on the pin connectors so I had no idea how to wire it. Instead, I installed a simple aftermarket shift controller to shift through the gears. sorta like a "manumatic", which actually works quite well.

Good luck on the conversion, I was really happy with mine and I'm sure you will too! If you want more info, let me know. I'm happy to share.

Don
Hi,
I am doing the same swap as well. I would like to know how and where to get the aftermarket shift controller to shift through the gears that you mention. I have waited over 5 years to get this going, would really appreciate getting information on this since I have no idea how to wire it.
Richard

Hi,
I am doing the same swap as well. I would like to know how and where to get the aftermarket shift controller to shift through the gears that you mention. I have waited over 5 years to get this going, would really appreciate getting information on this since I have no idea how to wire it.
Richard

Hi, I haven't been on this forum for quite a while, so sorry for the delay. Here's a link to the place where I bought my shift controller. If I recall, you'll need the Aisin-Warner manual to figure out which wires to connect. Unless the controller comes with instructions, i can't remember. Hope this helps.

Baja

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom