Falken Wild Peak A/T or General Grabber AT2? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The LX450 I just purchased has Pro Comp Extreme AT currently on it but I think they have seen better days, they look a little dry rotted and when driving on them, at slow speeds I feel like I am going over cobblestone road, I don't think they wore correctly. I am looking at one of these two tires, with the current rebates at discount tire direct, I can get the Grabbers for about $700 shipped for 4 or the Falkens for about $640 shipped. My concern with the Falkens is they are almost 15 lbs heavier per tire which seems pretty significant for a tire the same size, plus apparently the tread depth is not as deep on the outside of the tires versus the inside. I had them on my Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple years ago but they were only 31s and only had the tires for about 30k miles, seemed like good tires but the 60 lbs of unsprung weight has me concerned, not like this truck needs anything else to get horrible gas mileage lol. BTW I am looking at 315/75r16s.

Whatever the treadlife rating of the falken is, divide it by half. Its a poorly designed tire and will lose 90% of its tread grooves when worn 50%. As far as I can tell the wild peak and the rocky mountain both share this tread design. See my post in this thread:

Falken Rocky Mountain ats tires

Yeah I think that is the thread that I saw.... I remember my Jeep losing traction in the rain very easily with the Falkens, thought this was just normal for those type of tires (only drive sports cars)

I am looking for a tire that will probably spend 95% of its life on the highway as I am new to the whole Land Cruiser thing but the truck will be a daily with a 40 mile round trip commute

The tire you choose depends on the type of use. My buddy put the grabbers on his early bronco last year and they suck in the type of terrain we have here in NorCal. I believe they are more of a desert racing tire.
My second and most important point is that we should all buy tires that read "made in USA" on the side. No reason not to when we have plenty of good American made choices out there.

Last edited:
I am in Florida so even when I do get out on a trail I doubt it will be rocks but I want a nice looking aggressive pattern and something that behaves well on the highway/around town driving.

Unless I'm mistaken - I believe the grabber AT2's are the same tread pattern as the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires....

I had a tire rack quote for 31's (a few years ago, for my old explorer) for the AT2's... took it into Discount Tire - they said they would match the price (if I took them out the door)... except that it would cost them more to get the AT2's in, so instead they matched the AT2 price but sold me BFG's that they had in stock..... might try that route?

An aggressive-looking tire that spends 95% of its time on pavement and behaves well, but won't suck on dirt is somewhat difficult to find. I like the Nitto Terra Grapplers, though. A few of my buddies run them on their 80s and have no complaints. The new G2 is also touted as the first all terrain with a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty, so I would consider those?

The Falkens suck. Hated mine and didn't like how they tried to kill me. They also lost a lot of their grooves quickly as seen in the other thread that @Heckraiser posted.

Falken doesn't even appear to like their own tire, as they cut a slightly different pattern into a Falken sponsored Jeep for the Easter Jeep Safari this year. One would think that they would stand by their own design?

image.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the Falkens on my LX (285-75s, though). I've put about 26k miles on them. 99% highway/1% off road (also a 40 mile round trip commute). I just rotated them this weekend, coincidentally. The wear has been great (better than expected) with no signs of uneven wear patterns, etc. In snow and rain, they are great. Zero complaints. Quiet on the highway (much better than the Yokohama ATs I had on my Tacoma). The one time I did some serious wheeling, the Falkens did much better than I expected (coming from a guy who used to run Super Swampers). They are kind of heavy, but in 33s I don't notice it from a drivability standpoint.

To be honest, when it comes time to buy new tires I will get something else (more aggressive), but for an LC that spends a lot of time on the street, but still needs to function out in the woods, these are not a bad choice.

I'll report no problems with my Falkens either. They have worn well for me, too, and handled the moderate SoCal wheeling I have put them through quite well. It does take a lot of weight to balance them, and they are a budget tire, though. I wouldn't expect them to perform or last as well as a tire costing 30-50% more. It's a value tire with a commensurate level of performance and durability.

Unless I'm mistaken - I believe the grabber AT2's are the same tread pattern as the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires....

I had a tire rack quote for 31's (a few years ago, for my old explorer) for the AT2's... took it into Discount Tire - they said they would match the price (if I took them out the door)... except that it would cost them more to get the AT2's in, so instead they matched the AT2 price but sold me BFG's that they had in stock..... might try that route?

Discount tire direct is already cheaper than Tire Rack but unfortunately there is no Discount Tire in Tampa, there is one in Orlando but not sure I want to drive out there just to see if they will sell me the BFG for the same price

I really liked my nitto terra grapplers as well. Road oriented but surprisingly good offroad.

Also for your budget 5 ko2 delivered for 997 and change and you get a $70 MasterCard rebate

Shopping Cart for 4WheelParts.com

image.jpg

An aggressive-looking tire that spends 95% of its time on pavement and behaves well, but won't suck on dirt is somewhat difficult to find. I like the Nitto Terra Grapplers, though. A few of my buddies run them on their 80s and have no complaints. The new G2 is also touted as the first all terrain with a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty, so I would consider those?

The Falkens suck. Hated mine and didn't like how they tried to kill me. They also lost a lot of their grooves quickly as seen in the other thread that @Heckraiser posted.

Falken doesn't even appear to like their own tire, as they cut a slightly different pattern into a Falken sponsored Jeep for the Easter Jeep Safari this year. One would think that they would stand by their own design?

I just searched Nitto Terra Grappler AT and although discount tire direct doesnt have the right size, if I search for the tire at a Discount Tire store in Orlando it comes up and at a decent price...I will have to look into that tire now. Thanks

I really liked my nitto terra grapplers as well. Road oriented but surprisingly good offroad.

Also for your budget 5 ko2 delivered for 997 and change and you get a $70 MasterCard rebate

Shopping Cart for 4WheelParts.com

View attachment 1169095

Those are a good price too.... so I can get those for just over $800 or the Terra Grapplers for $700, which is the better buy? Damn that store has a good price but they are located in Florida so have to ad in tax too.

Last edited:
Holy s***.... That deal on the BFGs is crazy. That price for 4 tires would be crazy low, for 5 that is unbelievable!

I had the Grappler AT2 on my wife's FJ Cruiser and I feel they did extremely well in Florida's sand. I'm talking white sugar beach sand. I have the Terra Grappler G2s on my Gx470 and I like them, but I think the Grapplers were better off-road. The Nittos are slightly quieter on pavement.

Have you looked at Duratracs? I love them on my 80.

IF you do decide on the Wild Peak, I have a NEW 265/75/16 that was my spare, you can have it for the cost of shipping.
I am up in the Panhandle.

EDIT, just saw you wanted 315/ never mind.

I run Grabber AT2s in 285s on my rig, and like them.

They don't make excessive noise on the highway and seem to be really good offroad.

Main reason I bought them, though, is that they are reputed to be really good in snow, and I've recently moved to the snowy mountains of southern Germany. It snowed this weekend and I really enjoyed driving them offroad.

I've also heard their weak point is their sidewalls, but haven't really tested that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom