Where are the 80 series converts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It really sucks that 80s don't have middle headrests in the 2nd row. With 3 kids, this is a must have to avoid whiplash. This is another reason why we DD the 100.

And, if you have it, the entertainment system is very nice for the kiddos too.

That said I do have a mod I am in the process of doing for the 80 headrest issue, will post up when it's done.
Would love to see this idea played out. There is a two fold issue with the middle seat. No head rest AND no shoulder strap. Both are a must (in my eyes as a parent) to put a kid in booster in that middle seat. Once safety came into the picture, I had no leg to stand on for trying to keep it and my wife and I both knew. It had to go. Luckily it was a clean sub 100k locked and built 80 so it went stupid quick.

We have a similar setup 5:29, 37-MTR, etc

I switch between the 80, and my 06 100 as a 20 mile round trip daily driver.

Get an 03+ 100.

Sell the camry. If you are intent on selling the 80 pm me the price....

I did enjoy my 80s , but the 100s is better in every way for me 99.8% of the time as an expo truck, DD, family camper and can tow toys, camper, boat, trailer..... When I was younger towing was not something I did that often or think about, but when you go and buy a trailer to move your junk around next thing you know your the entire families moving guy...

100%252525ProofLC.png

Last edited:
We have a similar setup 5:29, 37-MTR, etc

I switch between the 80, and my 06 100 as a 20 mile round trip daily driver.

Get an 03+ 100.

Sell the camry. If you are intent on selling the 80 pm me the price....

It's verbally sold, waiting for him to come pick it up today. Went for $8,700 which I think was pretty good.

I am yet to meet someone who, after spending time behind the wheel, doesn't like the 100. Well-built, comfy and refined, it does most things quite well. For fun and reassurance, go check out some old magazine reviews and comparisons online. Even when long in the tooth, the 100 fared quite well against its newer counterparts.

I get your hesitation, though. I came from an 80 (still have it). The key, in my opinion, is to try and not compare the two; while similar, they're vastly different. Both are greats.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

I have a verbal agreement to sell my 80 tomorrow, but I am having serious cold feet.

It's a 97 with a lot mods, gears, armor, new 37 MTR's, locker etc. 230k miles, no issues except a leaky sunroof.

I am looking to buy a 100 since we now have two little ones and life is different.

I just need someone to tell me that its going to be ok, and that having a 100 will make me happy lol...

I gave up my 80 (11 years ago) for similar reasons.

Do I miss my 80, and wish I could have kept it ? Yes.

In hindsight, would I do anything differently? No.

Would I trade one of our 100s for a 80? No.

I will have another 80 at some point in the future, but it will be a play toy and not a daily driver.

I sold my built 80 for a stock 100. What a massive difference in daily drivability. Not even on the same planet. I don't wheel my 100 though - that's what the 70 is for.

It's going to be OK, would the 80's moderator lie to you?

Prolly on an island, but think the 80 is for pansy asses, with the leather, sunroofs, power seats, even the automatic transmissions....(although crash tested and will pit against the later cousin, any day.)

I've semi retired my 80 (which has none of the above, save the AT....for now), in favor of DDing a 40/55/73, walking past a new Cruiser cousin that epitomizes lavish luxury (albeit, it can run astounding speeds with grace and agility) to my old uncandy assed, unsafe, uncomfortable, carbon monoxide intoxicating, collection of rusting beauties.

You've got $8,700.00 cash in your wallet?

Your young......get the stupid chit out of the way, now, and throw caution to the wind, buy vintage, one without the Grey Poupon, a sufficent "Pocket" to store it, or even a single cup holder for the accompanying beverage of choice.

:flipoff2:

I am in the same boat here, built the 80 for expedition trip, seldom drive it. Own it for 8 years and put 12k miles on it so far. Been driving my 14 Sienna all the time, it is a pain to load my 11 months old into the 80. My 6 yr old struggle to get on and off the truck. But my love for the 80 has me keep the truck so far. Wife has been pushing for a 100 or 200 as the 80 is not kid friendly enough and it is not feasible to keep 3 vehicles at this moment. So I have been looking for a late 100 or early 200, found a 2009 LX570 Canadian import last night, call the dealer and I was a few hours too late!! Price was $29k! only catch is odo in Kilometer.

I know I will love my 80, but I think I will move on at this time and I will import myself an diesel 80 down the road. Goof luck in finding your 100.

It's sad. Teared up when it left, but I know it's the right thing for my family. Life's too short to be a one cruiser man am I right?
You made the right choice for the entire job family life reasons.

I have an 80, 2 100s and a 200. They all fill different roles. I feel your pain, and my 80 only gets driven for hard trails. That alone says something. If I had a truly built 100 l, my 80 would be rough to justify outside of the fact that I have promised it to my youngest. My 200 will be badder than all.of em....may just take a while. . You made a good decision. 80s, 100s l, and 200s are a dime a dozen when you know what you want and are willing to pay for it

Sell the 80 and put your wife and kids into a safe vehicle. Then start planning for your next purchase / build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom