Mike's 78FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bang Bang

Age is a state of mind.
Threads
Website
www.lalandkrewesers.com
This thread is more of a way for me to keep track of what I have done to the 40 and what I want to do to the 40.

So, without further adieu....... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

How she sits today 4/18/13:

DSC_0298_zpsa41e32ac.jpg

Her name is Hachi. This is how she looked the day I got her from Brian.

Driverside.jpg

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

First ride I took her on was at The Devil's Backbone in Crossroads, Ms. Damn, those springs are tight!! That was a rough ride.

DSCN1618.jpg

Brian and the PO's had already done many of the upgrades I would have wanted to do.

From one of Brian's For Sale threads on what was previously done:

The PO was a TLCA member and a friend of some BSLCA members, who also helped build it around 99 - 2000. They did a frame off resto and added the crate 350 from Summit at that time.

- 350SBC conversion using the AA bellhousing
- AA Twin stick kit
- custom covered yellow/black 40 seats
- stock front disc brakes and rear disc conversion from a Monte Carlo (I think)
- saginaw power steering
- 33" BFG MTs (5) with 80% tread
- custom rear swingout bumper w/ tire carrier
- h**p bench seat in back w/ shoulder belts from a Montero
- 2 1/2" lift springs
- 1 1/2" body lift
- stock 4 speed tranny w/ 3 spd transfer case
- Tuffy center console
- STOUT pipe bumper and rock sliders (more like rock crushers)
- custom aluminum dash cluster
- Inside of tub is completely rhino lined
- Aussie locker installed in the rear
- Installed rebuilt Quadrajet carb, new plugs and wires
- Installed new shocks front / Rancho and rear / Edlebrock

But, as I had told Brian when I bought her, I planned to take her to the next level. So, since this is really going to be a trail-only rig and ride-around-town-on-sunny-days rig, there was no need for the hard doors. I was able to find a set of RedLine tube doors from another MUD member who had them sitting around in his garage. I sanded, primed and painted them satin black. Now I am getting to more of the look I want.

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0666.jpg

No pictures but then I added a Uniden CB with a Firestick antenna for on the trails. Around the same time I also added an Alpine CD / MP3 stereo with a USB jack in the face so I can just load MP3's on a jump drive and play them through the Alpine. This way I don't have to bring my iPod on the trails. Works GREAT! The Alpine is mounted in the Tuffy center console and the CB is mounted in the dash where the OEM stereo went. I mounted some old surround sound speakers I had laying around to the roll bar. I plan to add a switch so that I can use the stereo speakers as external speakers for the CB.

Next, the springs were too stiff for my liking. So, when Larry offered up his 4" Skyjacker springs, I bought them. The BSLCA guys on the eastern side of the state got together one night to help me swap the springs.

Old springs:

Before.jpg

New springs:

After.jpg

Not much of a difference in height but what a difference in the ride. Here's all the cruisers we had in the shop at Deryl's that night.

Everyone.jpg

Had to test them out on the trails. This was at Paradise for the Hero Hustle ride.

60328_1554716703099_1090623768_1576298_8307272_n.jpg

47451_1554698102634_1090623768_1576267_3661247_n.jpg

I was having some overheating issues so I bought and installed a 3 core aluminum radiator from Champion Radiators. I also changed out the thermostat at that time. Good thing as someone had installed the wrong one for a Chevy 350. No more heat problems.

Next up, I had to test things out again and what better place to do that than Superlift for the SCC '10.

MikeoffTwinTrails.jpg

MikeRTI.jpg

Had lots of fun there but just to be sure, I had to test things out again at Sicily Island.....

FINALLY!!
MikeatSI.jpg

Flexing.....
PassFlex.jpg

Flexing the other side......
DriverFlex.jpg

Last edited:
Which brings me to this weekend.....I actually started the process of getting rid of the fiberglass front end and replacing it with sheet metal parts a few weeks ago. I took the parts that came with the rig to Deryl's shop and bead blasted what I could. The rest, I took a palm sander and an air angle die grinder to for prep for paint. Once everything was sanded, I cleaned them up and primed them. Today, I started painting. I got the new parts all painted with one coat. I am going to wet sand and apply a second coat of paint........oh, and I am going to have to paint the rest of the rig to match.........here are some teasers........

The hood is the same color as the bib. The lighting was not that good as the sun was going down when I took this.
Hood.jpg

Yes, the bib is tweaked......it will be fine once it is all bolted up.
Bib.jpg

Fenders.jpg

Next on the list:
  • [STRIKE] change tie rod ends and steering stabilizer [/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]have the rear bumper swing out re-worked into a double swing out so it doesn't sag and add a jerry can basket. Also, going to incorporate the hitch into the bumper.[/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]bend the hitch back in place and reinforce the rear cross member[/strike]
  • build a storage box out of angle iron and mesh steel for under the rear bench (got the materials)
  • install 4 point harnesses front and rear (got the fronts done)
  • [strike]install new 3 core aluminum radiator[/strike]
  • [STRIKE]cut piece of 1/4" plate to fit over holes in the tranny tunnel cover[/STRIKE]
  • [strike]replace fiberglass front end with steel parts[/strike]
  • [strike]re-paint the rig[/strike]
  • [STRIKE]recover the seats to match the new paint scheme[/STRIKE]
  • install fog lights on windshield frame
  • [STRIKE]install a family roll cage (have all the parts....now to weld it up)[/STRIKE]
  • [strike]upgrade to 35 - 12.5 R 15's BFG MT KM's[/strike]
....and not in that particular order.

Last edited:
lookin good! Mike

your going to make LL jealous with that color!

Thanks guys. It looks more orange in the pictures than it actually is. It is really a burnt orange so I don't know if Larry is going to be too jealous. :lol: Besides, he has another one he is about to make over. I bet that one is going to be painted ORANGE!! :grinpimp:

Looking good Mike. Yep, Larry's favorite color next to purple and gold.:flipoff2:

Looking good buddy. Cant wait to see the results.

Mike, I sure could use that hood and fenders--Ha Ha--Deryl and I have alot of work to do---Looks great from the banana to the pumpkin--Perfect!!

I talked to Deryl yesterday. I got you guys covered on the fenders although they are far from perfect but you can have them. The hood is another story. Your driveway is going to look like a cruiser sales lot pretty soon. :D When does the new 40 get here?

I talked to Deryl yesterday. I got you guys covered on the fenders although they are far from perfect but you can have them. The hood is another story. Your driveway is going to look like a cruiser sales lot pretty soon. :D When does the new 40 get here?
I have to line up a transporter this morning. Hoping to get it here early next week--I will keep you posted, please save all unused parts, not sure what we are getting ourselves into--Let me know if you need a hand with your project--I would be more than willing to come over and help out--

Thanks guys. But Deryl, you may have to wait to see the final results as I am no where near as proficient at sanding and painting the rig all in one 24 hour period as you. :grinpimp:

No problem! Just piss the :princess: off and you will be amazed at what you can get done sleeping in the garage, ha.

Good job Mike. It's gonna look great with the metal front end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom