1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
ok, so here goes. i have decided to call this truck "Dakota" as Landpimp pointed out the it has had "big ass" mud flaps on the back that say South Dakota for a long time. so i like the name "Dakota", so there it is. i am sure this will not be as exciting as Matt's LV, but i will try to keep it interesting and more importantly i will be needing lots of help as i have never done a TLC project before. Here is what i plan on doing.

1966 FJ45 LV. from the pics it looks very bad, but actually as we have started to tear it down, we are amazed at how well preserved this truck actually is. the body is excellent, only surface rust. the same can not be said for the pans, but hey we can't all have our cake and eat it too. i think once we finish with all the floor pan work, we will shoot it with some kind of Rhino liner type product. Of course we wll use lots of POR 15 before that. we plan to take all the guts out of the donor, a 1978 FJ55 with 4 spd and factory PS and install it into the LV. i want to keep it stock looking but try to modernize it as much a possible short of going with a V8. i want it to look like Matt's and the one's TLC4x4 does. i debated for a while on the V8 and decided it comes down to the amount of work i want to put into this project vs. the amount of work it will take to do the V8 properly. i also have a 78 55 sitting here that is a very good donor with a very bad body, so it make sense to gut it. i figure if i hate the 2F i can always do the V8 later. now, i would like to clear a few things up right away. i am definitely not a mechanic, i am a car nut. i have a great mechanic who works personally for my company so admittedly, he will be doing most of the wrenching when we do not have company repairs to make, while i will do most of the internet research, problem solving, and design guidance. he is extremely good at what he does and will be doing both the mech. as well as the paint and body. we have a shop, but will be building it up for resto. ie. adding a spray booth, and purchasing equipment such as metal brake, blast cabinet etc. to facilitate a proper restoration. the other thing i would like to clear up at that start is i am a terrible speller so please do not correct me. i also do not like to capitalize very often as you can see. this is all done in the name of speed and necessity. sorry if that offends some English teacher, but i always sucked at English and with the use of computers it has only gotten worse. is there a spell check in the post tools that i do not know of? don't see one. some of the challenge i foresee at this point are the PS setup (not sure what to do) and the sourcing general of parts.

Edited: I thought I should add pics of the two LV's that prompted me to build one for myself.

Build criteria:
1966 FJ45LV stock

Mechanics from donor 78 FJ55:
2F motor
4spd transmission
Factory PS set up

Add:
Vintage A/C
OME suspension
winch
mild lift
stock rims with BFG tires
hidden stereo
FJ-45-2.jpg
Matt's.JPG
98105ext_final1b.jpg

Last edited:
more pics

today we got started by removing stuff from the front. tomorrow we will build the rotisserie per Matts specs. if you look closely you can see the steel laying on the floor next to the lv ready to go. so before we take too much apart, we will have to slow down and build the necessary.
IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3598.jpg

Last edited:
Since my english / spelling is about as bad as yours, your write up should look about like mine has for the last year.

I can not really say anything about power steering so i will just keep my mouth shut for the time being and watch this while finishing up mine soon.

Good luck with it and i will be following to the end.

foxfab said:
terminal blocks are still available from Toyota.

"Yellow Cad" plating is what you're looking for on the hardware. A quick search on the subject would have yielded this: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=87430

:D

Thanks Mike for the terminal info. also, thanks for reminding me about the search feature, i keep forgeting about it. it is funny that the terminal blocks are still available. how do you know when a part is available and not? also. are there any parts manuals available? all i have been able to find was engine and chasis manuals. parts numbers would be a big help.

The 45wagon was probably not the best choice if you wanted to buy all the parts from the dealer. Some parts are available, some are not. The only way to find out is through forums like this one. I can tell you the 45wagon guys are nuts and that is the only reason we try to restore these old wagons. There is only one other group that is worse and I would try and stay on their good side. They keep tabs on all the unobtainium.

tree, this is why i dumped the 55 project as soon as i saw the 45lv. i had a 40 in school, but never knew the 45 existed. as soon as i saw it when doing the research for the 55, i was hooked. they are beautiful. i figured almost all the parts were unobtainium, that is why i was shocked to here fox say they were available at the dealer. we are just now taking this lv apart, but i have to say, so far i have been very impressed with how well it has held up. the headlight buckets almost don't need to be done, but i will go ahead and do them b/c i am anal.

treerootCO said:
could be this https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=40361 but it looks too far forward and the 66 wouldn't have one

no, i don't think it is that. this looks like a bracket was bolted to the frame for some time b/c there is rust under it. i thought about rails or running boards, but there is not another one like it toward the rear so that's why i thought it could be factory? i looked on the one that was on ebay and did not see anything like it?

i also, need some opinions. i have made the decision to replace the orig. F with the 78 2F engine and transmission. the question is, is it worth the time and effort to crate the orig. motor/trany etc. and save it in my warehouse for some future owner, or just sell the motor and be done with it?

Probably not worth it unless it was in the truck and part of the restoration. If you can get it to Denver, I can use the engine and all the little stuff like the carb.

If you decide to sell some of the parts on it let me know please.

Talking about parts on the engine.

I am in NC.

krzyabncanuck said:
If you decide to sell some of the parts on it let me know please.

Talking about parts on the engine.

I am in NC.

There will be lots of extra parts as well as a complete 65 LV for sale after i have finished the 66. I also received 4 extra doors, rear quarters and a lot of other parts from a demo'ed LV. i have not even had time to pull all the parts out of the back of the 65 yet, but there is a lot of good stuff in there. It will be a while thou b/c as you know these things take time to restore. we have just gotten into the front and now we need to complete the rotisserie so we can pull the body.

treerootCO said:
Probably not worth it unless it was in the truck and part of the restoration. If you can get it to Denver, I can use the engine and all the little stuff like the carb.

it is all original. that is why i have some guilt about doing what i am doing, but there is no way i could enjoy the std. motor and 3 on the tree.

Slow progress with dismantle

We are back from the 4th and have returned to disassembly. Slow progess with lots of broken bolts. Here are a few pics. We also unloaded the 65 to see what parts were there for use. Definately will need some of the items we found.
IMG_3771.jpg
IMG_3772.jpg
IMG_3773.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom